How long to QT an ichy fish :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrzap

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 3 new mollies from the local pet store. They were doing swimmingly and then I noticed one had some fuzz and white spots on it. I suspected ich so I immediately bathed the fish in fire...just kidding...I put him in a QT tank (~1 gallon size) with a drop of quick cure and a sprinkle of aquarium salt.

Its been two days now. I added another quick cure drop last night (directions say 1 drop per gallon per day till cured) and I don't see any visible symptoms now. How much longer she I keep him seperated from his buddies? Tomorrow will be day 3 of treatment.

Whatever was ailing the fish went away quickly! To be safe, after tomorrow, do a PWC and leave the Molly in QT for a few days.

PWC on the QT tank? For the quickcure to be effective does the dosing concentration need to be increased every day? If I do a PWC the concentration would get diluted so thats why I ask. Thank you :)

JUst a thought ... If this is ich, you are not out of the woods even when the spots are gone .... Ich has a complex life cycle, only one of which is visible .... so just because you don't see any spots doesn't mean it's all gone....

You need to treat ich for at least 2 weeks or you run the risk of it coming back in the future.

Read this for more info:
http://www.caloriesperhour.com/fish/notes_ich.html#cause

Wow great article thanks.

After reading it I have come to the conclusion 1tbsp of aquarium salt is OK for 1 gallon of water? Are mollies tolerant of such a salinity?

Mollies are not only tolerant of that salinity, they will do better in the long run in a brackish setup.

Damn! My fish in the main tank have got ich now. My pictus cats don't have a fuzz persay but his lower body fins ar ered like bloody and he seems really stressed. One of my other mollies has spots and the fuzz.

If I put quickcure in the main tank will I kill my java ferns? From the ich site it seems it will. How salty can I make the tank without killing java ferns and swords?

Apparently my pictus cat is flaking off skin as well =\

How high can I take the sailintiy in a community tank with these two pictus catfish, 3 mollies, and 3 plants (java ferns and swords)?

I am going to try using aquarium salt and high temp to ward off this infection.

Back
Top Bottom