How much salt in planted tank w/ loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allysonwonderland

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have successfully cured ich with just heat at 86 before, but this round doesn't seem to be going away. I don't have a severe outbreak this time, right now only two fish have maybe one spot on them, but it's been slowly spreading around for the past week and a half and won't die.

I bought a small container of salt on a whim, forgetting that I have some scaleless fish in there that might not like it. I know my plants won't like it much either but I'm more worried about my kuhli loaches and cory cats.

What dose of salt would you all recommend, if I should use it at all? Would even a tiny amount help with the ich?

Also, how exactly do you administer it? Dissolve in a cup of water and pour in, or do I have to do it during a water change?

I'm not convinced by the debate on whether or not aquarium salt is an effective cure for ich. Perhaps someone here can convince me otherwise.

In the world of medications designed to relieve fish of the Ich-- I've heard good reviews, specifically for minor outbreaks, of Kordon Ick Attack; however, I've never actually tried it.

It claims to be chemical free and to not stain your tank.

In my tank, I use API Super Ick Cure. It's full of chemicals and may stain your ornaments, but it works everytime.

Back
Top Bottom