How to kill white planaria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do u kill these things on contact? They show up because of over feeding. I put some food in there to keep with cycle going while I wait on a shipment of inhabitants so...what do I do? Taking the food out isn't really an option. Will aquarium salt work? This is a planted tank that I really like so I don't want those things in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How do u kill these things on contact? They show up because of over feeding. I put some food in there to keep with cycle going while I wait on a shipment of inhabitants so...what do I do? Taking the food out isn't really an option. Will aquarium salt work? This is a planted tank that I really like so I don't want those things in there!

Adding salt won't do much but harm your plants... As you stated overfeeding is the source of Hydra... Not much you can do about it if your source for Ammonia is fish food.

To kill the Hydra currently in the tank Fenbendazole is the only thing I've gotten to work. Fenbendazole is found in dog dewormers but in small doses it won't harm your plants, fish, shrimp, but it will kill Hydra and some algae IME.

Safe Guard 4 Canine Dewormer is what is used to treat for hydra. The dosing for it is 0.1grams for 10g or you can dilute 1gram into 100mL of RO water preferably and then dose 1mL. Dose the tank once and let it sit for 3-5 days. If the hydra is dead/dying let it be. If you notice no change do a 50% PWC and then dose again.

Will the fish and snails I'm getting eat them on their own? Do they harm the fish and snails in any way?

Kill on contact? Try excel. Or Glutaraldehyde (I have not tried api CO2 booster but it should work the same). Using a syringe, dispense a few drops on or near the Planaria.
I've seen fish eat and then spit out planaria.

Back
Top Bottom