How to set up a quarantine tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's been a lot of discussion on this recently, but I think the concensus is, that have a tank to just take out and use when you need it. You can basically insta-cycle it by using one of the established filters from the main tank and just replacing it when the QT is finished.

I'm isolating my Betta in a two gallon kit. With some sort of filter. How could I instantly cycle this tank? Should I add sand and water from my main tank

Water wont' do much, but the sand will help, and any filter media. Might not be instant, but it'll be close.

There's been a lot of discussion on this recently, but I think the concensus is, that have a tank to just take out and use when you need it. You can basically insta-cycle it by using one of the established filters from the main tank and just replacing it when the QT is finished.

I doubt that multiple filters is the norm. I, for one, don't have a filter that I could steal away from my DT.

I keep QT/Hosp. tanks up and running all the time. I never know when one of my fish may get injured by another. For me it's easier to maintain a 10g tank than it is to take it down and store it then pull it out and set it up again.
But to each their own

I doubt that multiple filters is the norm. I, for one, don't have a filter that I could steal away from my DT.

Not everyone would have to do this, obviously. But I think that the majority of people that I've met who run a large tank often run multiple filters. But this is just the easiest way I know of.

WendiDell said:
I keep QT/Hosp. tanks up and running all the time. I never know when one of my fish may get injured by another. For me it's easier to maintain a 10g tank than it is to take it down and store it then pull it out and set it up again.
But to each their own

Do you keep fish in your permanent QT to keep it cycled at all times?

JackSpadesSI said:

You wouldn't have to. You'd just be fishless cycling 24/7 is what I think she means. But you know what they say about assuming... Lol.

If you have fish in a QT, then it's no longer a QT but a DT, right?

I keep a spare filter running on my DT and if I ever need to QT any fish I can do so in about 10 minutes. I have a spare tank (actually a 5g clear plastic bin) set aside with a heater and light and you don't even need the light. When I need to, I fill the QT up with a 50/50 mix of tank water and dechlorinated water, pull the spare filter from my DT, plug in the heater and I have a fully cycled ready to go QT.

The best part is I'm not wasting additional electricity, doing PWC and whatever else to keep an empty tank running for god knows how long between uses.

Mr. Limpet,

I have a question for you about that... I have a 75g and purchased a 10g for a QT tank. I was planning on doing the same thing as you and figured a little extra filtration wouldn't hurt. The problem I ran into, is that the filters rated for a smaller tank, won't fit on the rim of the 75g.

Are you using a larger rated filter? Other than taking the pad out and putting into my canister, any ways to get it mounted on the 75?

Thanks

Mr. Limpet,

I have a question for you about that... I have a 75g and purchased a 10g for a QT tank. I was planning on doing the same thing as you and figured a little extra filtration wouldn't hurt. The problem I ran into, is that the filters rated for a smaller tank, won't fit on the rim of the 75g.

Are you using a larger rated filter? Other than taking the pad out and putting into my canister, any ways to get it mounted on the 75?

Thanks

If you have room in your filter to put the pad in, it will seed and be ready just like I do with an extra HOB on my tank. Extra (reasonable) filtration is never a bad thing :D.

As for modifying the 10g filter to fit the 75g, I wouldn't do it to mine. Have you tried putting it on the rim and seeing if the intake tube reaches below the waterline? I'm just thinking that even if it doesn't fit all the way down onto the rim, as long as it's stable, can p/u water and the output goes into the tank without making a wet mess, it'll still filtering (and seeding for the QT).

Back
Top Bottom