How to treat FW ich.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc118

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My GF fish have gotten ich after we trasfered them to a new tank. What steps do I need to do to get rid of this? I know nothing about advanced FW.

livestock:

1 tetra
2 platys
2 dwarf frogs

What can I add to the tank, or do I need to leave the tank fishless like in SW?

Raise the temperature to over 86F. Leave it that way until at least two week after the last signs of ich are gone. Up the amount of O2 in the water by either adding an airstone or lowering the water level if you use an HOB filter.

What Rich says is exactly right. Is the new tank cycled? Ich can be brought on by stress and poor water parameters.

Yea It was cycled. Now the ich is off the fish, so two more weeks with the heat up? Also they arent very active anymore, not swimming to the top for food. They also seem to be sensitve to the light?

not being active could be from the increase temp, and correlated decrease in O2 - try adding aeration and see if they perk up. not sure about the light tho...

There is an air pump....

So its just from the heat then? The thing is that this tetra is nearly 5 years old....I feel bad because It was my idea to move it to a larger tank, it had been in basically a vase for 4 years.

Also, don't raise or lower the temperature more than about 2 degrees a day - that could be stressful on the fish as well.

Back
Top Bottom