How would you deal with this? PICS ON PAGE 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd just leave him be.....and just bathe him once a week to keep and bacteria or fungus at bay while he slimes it for healing. I am surprised a tetra of any sort survived such a rough time. It WANTS to live.

I usually try until the last light leaves their eyes.... mercy killing is not in my nature generally.

Christmasfish said:
I'd just leave him be.....and just bathe him once a week to keep and bacteria or fungus at bay while he slimes it for healing. I am surprised a tetra of any sort survived such a rough time. It WANTS to live.

I usually try until the last light leaves their eyes.... mercy killing is not in my nature generally.
(y) (y)

shawmutt said:
I would euthanize, here's a site on different methods:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/faustus/nicoldaquaria/euthanasia.htm

On page 1 of this post, shawmutt recommended the above webpage for different methods of euthanizing. I read it, and to me the alcohol method sounds the best for your tetra - IF it gets to that point and you feel like it's the right thing to do. Here's what it says -

Alcohol
As pure as possible - vodka, tequila.
The method is that you have the alcohol at the same temperature as the water in your aquarium - the fish is introduced to the alcohol and immediately becomes overwhelmed by it.
Alcohol works like an anesthetic and is at lethal levels. The fish will instantly be paralysed and unconscious, death follows quickly due to respiratory failure.
An alternative is freezing alcohol as mentioned above - that might, just be overkill.
Recommended for: all fish
Not recommended for: fish who attend alcoholics anonymous
Humane rating: 100%

Best of luck.

I have been leaving him the way he is. The problem he has have only ever affected him for the most part. The other fish in the tank were getting by fine even when the Tetra showing infecting. This time, I was not so lucky. I lost a Guppy, and my Betta and a Cory cat are showing signs of infection currently. It is tough to lose one fish, and possible even three trying to keep another alive.

Mine neither. I have probably done more for this fish than I do for my dog. I have had plenty of chances in the past to kill off this fish but I have done everything possible and it is still alive and swimming.

At this point in time, I think it would hurt me too much to kill the Tetra. Hard to put down something when I have worked so hard to keep it swimming. If the fish looked like it was suffering, I would have no problem killing it. Instead it just looks really messed up, but happy...

Here are some pics. The fish has looked like this for months! He eats but sort of running into food with the hole in his head where he should have a mouth.

tetra1.jpg

tetra2.jpg

tetra3.jpg

I've seen pacus and oscars shabbier looking.. and they seem to get by.

He obviously will be the tank canary with such a open entry for an infective. One Qt day too soon with new fish (as in when they are purchased and added) and he will will be the one old resident hit first.
I think you were mixing the cart and horse by saying you thought he was causing a prob for the other fish..he lost his mouth by trauma...not a disease, so it isn't like you could suspect him of being a carrier of one.
If a lot of NEW fish die of a disease and he gets it too....it was likely brought by the new fish. And he still survived!? Hardy constitution on that little guy!
But if it were not for the hole..I'd say "nice tetra".
Shiny, plump with headlight on highbeam? Swishing around and always looking for lunch. All a tetra should be.................... with a missing piece. :roll: It even seems that the webbing is returning to his munched anal fin rays.

I don't think I could never dim such a bright and flashy guy with a burning alcohol chaser or trip to the artic. :?
edit:28May 7PST

What the heck are you talking about? I've bought two new fish for the tank in the last 6 months, and this fish has have a reoccuring problem both before and after I bought those fish. The fish was intially beat up when one Tetra went nuts and started killing the other ones. Disease rotted away the fishes mouth and fins, he has an infection covering most of the

Sorry that he did not make it, but the stress and worry of it is over. Poor little bugger!

sorry to hear that :( at least you know you did the best you could, and then some. i'm sure he knew it, too :D

Back
Top Bottom