I always find ich/white spotted fishes in lfs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gu2high

Aquarium Advice Freak
All lfs stores I went I can find some ich or have white spotted fishes in some of the tanks. I am talking about big chain stores like Petco, Petsmart, Walmart and some local small pet stores.

One time I found multiple ich infection in many tanks in Petco and I asked the store guy whether the tank water is separated or goes through to each other and the guy pretended he didn't understand my question and just said the ich was treating.

My question is actually this, if I find ich fishes in one tank, can I assume the tanks next to it also have the ich problem? How about the tank above or under it?

well, if the tanks all share nets and collection containers, then they most likely do, but I believe they can have ich but not show symptoms, I guess carriers? That's why we need to quarantine new fish to see if they start showing anything. I can imagine how hard it is, with all of the different fish and tanks in a store that just takes fish in big quantities like that, to keep the fish disease free. As far as the water sharing, I'm not sure.

Several of the larger chain lfs's around here have a central water system that feeds all their tanks. Some of the smaller stores have individual tanks and do water changes on each tank. I'm positive they share nets and equipment. That being said, QT'ing fish is the safest way to avoid bringing illnesses from the lfs into your own tanks.

I have only one place that I will buy fish from around me. The guy was real nice and showed me the cleaning system that he has for all of his fish. His tanks are all tied into the same filtration system, but it's a mixed media, wet/dry system that also has a UV thingy that zaps all the major fish diseases out of the water. I have never seen any sick or icky fish there. Most lfs are gross and I wouldn't even think of buying from them. I certainly wouldn't buy from someplace like Petco or WalMart. *shudders*

Most distributors that these stores get their stock from keep the fish in less than adequate conditions. I was at one time unlucky enough to visit one near me and the conditions were enough to make anyone scream. So if I buy a fish from one of these stores I think of it as rescuing an abused pet.

Back
Top Bottom