I apparently suck at keeping fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bunebop

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I've been struggling w/ my 50 gallon tank since about May. I finally got fish in it. I added 8 zebra danios a couple of months ago. They're doing great... however every other fish I add to the tank tends to die w/i a week. I'm not home much, so my family takes care of the tank. I went home last weekend and found a pleco alive (who hadn't been fed for 3-4 weeks since my mom apparently never saw him there) In anycase. Since we found him we fed him and I think my mom overfed him and he died saturday :(. So I was back down to the danios. I went to the LFS and asked for some of the sturdiest fish they had and ended up getting 6 black-skirt tetras. Then thing is, I really hate the tetras (I dunno I think they're ugly) I'm gonna keep them and everything... but I would really really really really like to get some plecos, cory cats, dwarf gouramis etc in the tank because I prefer colorful fish and bottom dwellers more than tetras. Does any one have any idea what the problem might be w/ the tank. Right now I have the 8 danios and 6 tetras and 1 live plant.. which I don't know what kind it is, but it seems to be doin' well. One of the problems with keeping more sensitive fish like plecos is that unfortunately my mom doesn't know much about fish and they don't take very good care of the fish. Is there anything I can do w/ the tank to make it easier on my mom to keep the fish alive? I'm gonna try and get a few more plants in the tank so they don't have to change the water etc. I'm hoping that if I can get em to feed the bottom feeders like every 2 days they won't die (although I don't know if the problem is overfeeding, but I have a feeling that has something to do with it) Does anyone have any suggestions? Sorry this was so long and probably doesn't make sense. Thanks for any advice!!

What sort of fish died? How many did you add at once?

Live plants in a tank are a good idea, IMO, but will not save you from having to change the water.

Why do you have a tank that you don't even get to see that often? :|

If water changes end up being a hassle you could always buy one of those phyton gravel vac dealies, that way its easier to hook up and clean

You could also use an automatic feeder, and make sure your mom keeps it full or something

What are your water parameters..
Was your tank cycled before putting any fish into it?
How long do you float your fish?
HTH

Dan :)

How often are you home? At least 1 time per month?

If you are home on a monthly basis, I would tell your parents to stop doing partial water changes and just do them yourself when you are in town. Here are some tips for low maintainance:

1) Before you leave, you can add a fresh healthy amount of activated carbon to the filter which will help extend the water quality between water changes.
2) Put an automatic fish feeder on the tank and set it to feed very lightly 2 times per day.
3) Do not purchase any fish which require special foods. Use flake only. Use Cory Cats for your bottom feeders, and do not buy more than 3.
4) Prefill 1 gallon jugs of water for evaporation. Direct your parents to add the water to the tank when needed. This will prevent them from having to do anything with water & chemicals.
5) Put your light on a timer, 6 hours per day to keep algae growth low.
6) Use a dual filter combination of a sponge filter & biowheel. If the power goes out & your biowheel does not kick back on then your sponge will still harvest bacteria. If the sponge clogs & does not function, then your biowheel still harvests bacteria. This will give you double safety between visits home.
7) Stock your aquarium as if it is only 29 gallons.

I've been in this situation before & this is the best advice I can give you! You can make it work!

I was given a black skirt for a present. I didn't really like him much but figured "oh well". Your LFS knows what they are talking about. That tetra is one strong fish.

What are your water parameters? If your PH is around 7.5, you might try livebearers. They are generally colorful and active.

"Hungry fish are happy fish!" - does mom know this?

ah i wouldnt say you suck, but when you're not there its very hard to keep an eye on things! God i know what would happen if i left my fish care to my parents... nothing! they might chuck some food in every now and again but that would be it!

on top of everything else thats been suggested, i would look to add some more live plants. I'd go for either the same as you've got (as you know it grows) or investigate a little further into plants, and buy one that suits your tank conditions, and wont over run your tank in a month before you can trim it back.

What kind of water are you using? Tap Water? what are your parameters?

There are a ton of hearty fish out there. Plecos, cory cats, danios, barbs, chinese algea eaters, loaches, tetras, mollies, etc.. are all very hearty if put in an aquarium that is well kept, and well maintained. I would suggest you get the tank and water in order before you add anymore livestock. get your nitrates down, your pH balanced, etc.

don't fret to much, but just understand that fishkeeping isnt a magic art. It's a science. anyone can learn to do it. it just takes a bit of patience.

Back
Top Bottom