i dont even get sick fish. i get dead fish. :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ky'smommy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i swear soon im gonna be outta fish in my little tank. and hopefully not my big discus tank.
but still i think my fish store sucks or something.
First i lost 2 adult danios.
then 2 guppies a male.female.
then i lost and a pleco.
then i lost another guppy a male
And then in my other tank - 2 dwarf rams and 2 rubber nose pleco
and then another 1 year old danio
then another two guppies male and female
and i had a nearly dead betta that i managed to save for now?
Three different tanks. was four. but moved the babys into the 10 gallon.
this is in about 2-3 month period.
water conditions are normal.
i could post them because its useless
right now i have a 1.5g with a betta.
a ten gallon with a 3 in shark and a bunch of guppies which i was going to give to my dad cause the babys got huge fast so took up alot of room. BUt not now , not to make his fish sick.
and then a 80 gallon. with 4 discus fish and 4 gouramis and some minnows
the discus tank has been perfect 100% perferct cause i cant afford to lose them at 50-100 dollars each.
All fish that died in there showed no visible signs of disease or being hurt.
discus are fine and healthy and showing there colors. and gouramis are so happy that i have four males and they are all making bubble nests.
but the last 4 fish i lost (my poor pregant guppy) in my ten.
were all bent? not straight curved.
no other visible signs except the pregnat one started to look like dropsy or just really pregnant.
Could my shark be killing them off slowly?
our lfs suck they lie about conditions and stuff. and a recent trip to edmotons pet store. proved that our red tail shark could grow up to like 4-5 inches? so we were planning on purchasing another tank a 29 gallon?
for him cause hes not growing and he is about 3" long.
but i have about 5 guppys left. and i dont know how long it will be before something happens to them.
could it be the shark? or even something in the water?
what could cause a fish to bend when they die?
like almost circle bend?

what could cause a fish to bend when they die?

Tuberculosis. No external signs and a bent spine would be a pretty good bet. And yes, it can spread and kill entire tanks. Of course, none of this is certain without a look at the inside of the fish. You couldn't tell they were sick at all? No loss of appetite or change in behavior?

http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#TB

If you want more fish in the tank, I would consider dosing it with a very strong antibiotic such as Kanaplex, Steptomycin, Maracyn-Two, or Tetracycline. That way, even if it's another bacterial infection killing your fish, it should be erradicated.

This is my best guess. HTH.

no signs only on 2 outta them all.
but the last few. they were fine an i always check them like every hour and watch em. i would come back one would be dead and bent.
we also ended up rechecking the water. cause i just checked it the day before last and did a 50%water change.
and its not so good.
so i will do another water change

Be careful when you are doing your water changes. I would be inclined to use different gravel vacs, nets, and other equipment in your different tanks. I recently read a post where someone had accidentally spread ich to an uninfected tank that way- Lonewolf, was that you?

From the first post:
water conditions are normal

From the next post:
we also ended up rechecking the water. cause i just checked it the day before last and did a 50%water change.
and its not so good.
so i will do another water change

Ok..I'm just going to type what I'm thinking assuming I'm interpreting these statments correctly....and I might not be, but here goes....

The conditions are good but they are dieing...but you do a 50% water change anyway....I understand that and I probably would have too.

But two days later (after the 50% change) its "not so good".
To me that means to things:
1.The water was much worse before the 50% change then it is now....or
2.The water quality is changing very very fast.

If either 1 or 2 is true,as it seems one must be,then its a water quality issue in my opinion.

Could you post all the results?Before the 50% change and also the ones that are not so good.

I think it may help the people here who know a lot more then I help you out.

severum mama- i use a different vac and usually use the different nets as discus are bigger then guppies.
but one of my new discus 5 days new now is showing signs of ich.
and not the guppies/shark.
hes very active and eating and not scratching. temp in that tank is 85+ usually.
discus tank. water i test everyday. is normal.
Ph 6.6
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
nitrites-0.1-0.3.
very good conditions
the 10 gallon tank:
temps 80+ no heater thats just how hot it is in my house.
i had to turn it off because it was past 90
P.H 7.9 - anywhere. the ph low test only tests to 7.9.
Ammonia is 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates about 110 really bright pink.
befor they were the same as the 80 gallon cept ph was 7.
No signs of anything. well last night the shark started breathing fast and hard and his mouth shakes all the time instead of sometimes.
i was three days behind on the guppy waterchange. i test and then change it. im always pariniod now.
All fish in the 8og died before the discus were brought in except one and the ramlooked perfect. i watched them all eat together and play together and i woke up and he was gone.
also let me mention this. we went to purchase another friend for him and all the fish that were in that tank now looked like really poor qualitly.
i change all tanks with the same treated water.
one jug filled full.
All the dead fish were really old or almost new. like a month to a month and half.
or baby from my and my dads guppys. so three different sorces.
all plecos were from the same place.

Back
Top Bottom