I don't know what is wrong with my fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heavenly

Aquarium Advice Regular
:?: I don't know what is wrong with my fish. All tetras I have had developed spots and died within a 48 hour period. Some lost all fins, yes I said all. My live bearing fish have no signs on them but are constantly scratching, but i have yet to loose one ( besides for babies). Please help me. I don't know what to do.

( Pleco and African Dwarf Frogs are not sick. )

Could you also provide us with your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? What is your pH? And finally, which tank size and what is inside? We can thus identify where the problem lies. The diseases are often due to some stressing conditions due to poor maintenance, overcrowding, etc.
Please provide the above with your next post, thanks.

A simple question, but is your tank heated and are you acclimating the fish when you put them in? Sudden changes in temperature can cause fish to develop disease and die pretty quickly from shock... A pic would help if you could...

My tank is a 10 gallon. It is not heated. I have two silver lyre-tail mollies a Pleco, powder blue Dwarf ( new) and two African Dwarf Frogs ( new) all my ph levels and everything are normall. i can submit and picture but if I could I doubt it would do any good because there is no sign at all on the fish ( all the ones with the spots, which were little white spots like ich are long gone now.) the only sign is that they scratch alot. I thank yall for your help. it is greatly appreciated.

What is your tank temp? Al your fish are tropical and some are needing a minimim of at least 76. Just because your room's ambient temp feels warm, remember..you are mammal and much more adaptable than cold bood animals like fish and reptiles. Tetra's especially like some fairly warm water at least baby bath warm! They also need soft water which I suspect you do not have unless you live in the city.
Normal is not a good answer..the answer is the actual pH and being able to say all readings are ZERO or what readings above zero you have. There is no NORMAl pH. All pH readings are Normal , but not all levels are for all fish.
Some species have susceptibilities to low readings in ammonia OR nititrites.
It could be ich, the start of velvet, fungal infections, ph burns, ammonia burns...(burns get a slime layer that is puffy and white too)
proper readings let us cross out everything that they can cause.
Cough up the numbers heavenly and we can make your fishies home their paradise away from nature.... :)

BTW the list you have just previous is already overstocking your 10 gallon. You have far over the rule of thumb measurement for fish. Excluding the long gone tetras.

I had a place called the Fish Bowl Pet Express check my water and they said everything was fine, my fish aren't stressed out of anything. They said my tank isn't overcrowed by any means, but not to ad more fish to it until they are no longer ill. My water temperature stays between 76 and 80 degrees. I always thought that it was a little warm but never tried to lower it because they were always fine. I must admit I am kinda new to this. I have had fish for years, I just never had a problem with them before. I am sorry I don't have the numbers for the water levels all I know is they dipped sticks into the water and matched the colors to a color chart and went from there. At one time I thought it may have been velvet too. I put a fungus and bacteria medicine in there about 4 days ago but it didn't seem to do much good. They have started itching less. They itch the most at night it seems if that helps any.

I thank you for all of yalls help even though I don't seem to be halping much myself :oops: I am sorry about that. but I do thank you :fadein:

OOPS! My son poored milk in my fish tank AGH! Any longe term affects of this?? I took them out and cleaned the tank... well rinsed everything really good and they seem to be doing fine. I hope I caught it in time.

heavenly said:
I had a place called the Fish Bowl Pet Express check my water and they said everything was fine, my fish aren't stressed out of anything. They said my tank isn't overcrowed by any means, but not to ad more fish to it until they are no longer ill.

Your temps are perfect, ,though a heater set to prevent drops below 75 would be good..it can be on the "to do" list.
Your cycle will restart after the milk incident. you really NEED to buy your own test kit!

Okay..I wont even say in words what I think of a place that reatails animals with the name "express" My sig says it all. A retail store is trying to sell you equipment, meds adn fish. And all but the most trusted lfs guys advisements are to be taken with salt.
If it is a chain, then you have a former burger king employee now advising you as your fish expert (okay-harsh. Some retail fish dept people actually care and are experienced. But they are rare).
Even a petsmart fish bag mentions the inch of fish per gallon rule...
And it is a loose rule that is only meant to prevent overstuffing. And applied to the small 3' and under fish commonly kept when the rule first came in use. It can't cover exceptions like aggressive fish, or heavy water users and mess makers.Or fish over 5". And even a stick has a reading. It does not have "nothing" "fine" "okay" "not good " and "100% fatal" printed on it!

AS for fish you kept maybe as a kid..were they any of THESE now the same kind? There are far more fish available at cheap prices to a regular consumer than the wild caughts I was familiar with when I helped my grandfather with his fish.
Lake cichlids were only avalable through hobbiests and magazines..not STORES. They were the great new thing. Most FW fish in stores 20 or so years ago were mollys, ,guppies, platies, goldies and angels. 10 years ago added more of the cories, loaches and cichlids other than oscars to mainstream. Now even sensitive and specialty species are made available in chains like petco. But notice no cards on the tanks with scientific name and stats for adult size and water needs? This is not by accident. Who will buy a fish they KNOW grows to 24 inches long and requires a 75 gallon tank? Who will buy a fish they KNOW can NOT be in a community of other fish? but they will buy that cute red fish and the beautiful electric blue one.

Remember that the people here online are not here to make any money..only to help prevent a person from making the same tragic mistakes that nearly all of us made with our first fish. We are here to prevent fish death and promote proper care and happy owners with gorgeous fish.
Many experienced people keep somewhat overstocked tanks for temporary periods or purposely with measures like extra water changes and better filtration. But that requires a firm understanding of the water nitrogen cycle and having the ability to test on suspicious days.

For my christmas gift, my 8 year old was sold 5 neon tetras for a 5 quart mini-tank. No heater. When they became ill and died she came for more on warranty. Water was tested with them and they were FINE. At the their horrible death, the test kits I bought on suggestion of members here showed an ammonia level of 8 ppm and a Nitrite of 3 mg /l. She was told to float them and dump the bag. So the 50% change every 3rd day couldn't help. Worst about it was that I knew better had I been paying attention instead of "not looking at my gift". They also had neon tetra disease. And who did this? the fish dept. manager, whom she now gives a hard time forever after now by loudly proclaiming fish factoids in front of customers. Because she says, "he is a low guy to cheat a kid and make them cry over dead fish!"
I have problems trusting your lfs....

Problem one; Dip sticks are highly inaccurate.

Problem two; if you are new, how do you know what the signs of stress in each different species you have is? Did you research them? But if you did, how could you not notice their water requirements and adult sizes?

Problem three: not only is the pet guy ready to sell you more fish in a mere 10 gallon, but he didn't mention QT. So you are to nurse your fish, beat an illness, and then introduce more illness with new fish?
Tsk!
Once again I strongly say..Get a test kit of your own!
you want the numbers yourself and the accuracy of a proper test. Any reading other than Zero is a bad reading.

I feel you on your lfs opinion. That is why I go to this one. I don't feel they are like that. All the medicine I have put in may tank they gave me, And until this sickness happened I was a somewhat "breeder" for them. I would take babies up there every three weeks. I have been going to this store for quite a few years. I also have always had two inches of fish to each gallon... what I was taught. The person at the store that told me that wasn't a regular there and is no longer there. There are also only three people at that store that I deal with. Everything in my tank is the same besides for the gourami. I have always had mollies, neons, african dwarf frogs and plecos. Neons I never have had much luck with and I think after this I won't have them agian. ( they started the sickness in my tank) everything that passed due to this has been reimbursed to me by the fish store, I didn't get fish so I got stuff like food and what have you. And I have to be honest with you I never got a heater because I don't want to be one of the people that "boiled" their fish which is also why I never go over a 10 gal tank. I am going to get a kit so that in the future I can say numbers instead of just fine. But with the milk I guess they just needed calcium because they have been absloutly fine since. no scratching or anything that I have noticed. I have normal ( hopefully healthy) fish agian!!! Thank you so very much. Even though I think it was the milk I don't see myself ever telling someone to pour a cup of milk in the fish tank if you don't know what is wrong. :wink: Thank you so very much. I am not sure if I could have gotten through this ordeal without the wonderful people here. I love yall :mrgreen:

neon tetra disease

What is neon tetra disease????[color :? =blue][/color]

Back
Top Bottom