I found white spots on acclimating fish...What do I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just received a fish via USPS. I opened the box and put him/her in a 5 gallon bucket and started drip acclimating. I started to look closely at the fish and I realized that he/she has 3 white spots on the left fin. What should I do at this point? I dont have a QT and he/she is going to be done acclimating in 20 mins. What is the best thing to do right now?

Do not put the fish into your main tank. This will only serve to infect the entire tank.

See if you can grab any kind of container, preferably 5 gallons minimum. Put some of your main tank water in it, put a bubbler and a heater in it, if you have spares. Keep this fish isolated.

Definitely let the seller know that they sold you a sick fish.

I have the 5 gallon bucket im acclimating in, should I just use that? I also have a air pump and a 50w heater. The only problem is what am I going to do for lighting and filtration? If I do a 50% water change everyday would that be enough to keep the ammonia down?

Don't worry about lighting. I think your plan sounds good. It doesn't seem like you have many options.

So I have the 50w heater set to the same temp my tank is. I have the air pump going and the fish seems to be doing ok. I have maybe 2.5 gallons in the bucket right now and I'm starting to think maybe I can do the heat/salt thing to him/her and get this over quick.

I've done a lot of research on GBRs before I got them, and now that I have them I've been researching even more. Apparently in some spots in SA they are found in water very close to 90*. If I add a teaspoon and a half of salt and get the temp up around 90, wouldnt that kill the ich right away?

**realizing that the 50w heater is way too much for this ghetto setup haha, I'm going to set the temp way lower, maybe that will help?

I wouldn't do 90. You want to raise the temp slowly. The fish is already stressed by the ich, raising the temp too high, too fast, might be a recipe for disaster.

If I were you, if the spots seem gone in a few days, empty the bucket entirely and refill with water from your tank. That will be the equivalent of doing a gravel vac to remove the ich spores.

I wouldn't do 90. You want to raise the temp slowly. The fish is already stressed by the ich, raising the temp too high, too fast, might be a recipe for disaster.

If I were you, if the spots seem gone in a few days, empty the bucket entirely and refill with water from your tank. That will be the equivalent of doing a gravel vac to remove the ich spores.

Ok, I guess I'll just keep a close eye on everything for the next few days and see what happens.

Just a random thought...cichlids naturally have white spots on their fins...are you certain it's Ich?

I was looking at her closely, and I only saw 3 dots on her one pectoral fin (the left one). Maybe I can find some pictures of cichlid fins close up and see what youre talking about. Hopefully I'm wrong and she doesnt have anything.

Eco, you were right! I looked really closely and it doesnt seem like it's Ich. It doesn't look like salt grains at all. I put her in the tank after realizing it wasnt Ich, but shes not doing a lot of swimming right now. Shes kind of just sitting on the bottom in the corner. Hopefully she makes a turn for the better by tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom