I got my female betta home, question about medication {pics}

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, so Sasha's home now, and I put this ointment stuff on her before I left class that's supposed to help the open wound. I have this stuff to cure dropsy ...it's Mardel- Maracyn two. I know you guys mentioned melafix and primafix (er somethin like that) but I'll have to wait til I get money to buy it, which will be like either today or tomorrow. But, what I want to know is, what medicines can and can't i mix... cuz I don't want to be killing my fish due to mixed medications that shouldn't go together.

img_521838_0_ab1d1b58ea1f60f9e27898d87f95e319.jpg

img_521838_1_6a6cbd877592f980165429777d5537ea.jpg

img_521838_2_20fee23bedac3288fef0d7c8b246e2e5.jpg

img_521838_3_6ce34c59b725390fe844f253579ce08c.jpg

You can see the bulge on her right side, there's also a bite mark a little bit further down her abdomen on that side that goes past her layer of fat...

Looks like she got bitten or has some sort of abcess, doesn't look like dropsy, I think she'll heal up in good time with a little medication in the water.

It might be a little of both, I can tell you from what I can see that it's just internal swelling from something on her right side and that she has a big chunk missing on her side a bit further down than that. There was a red coloration under her skin the beginning of last week where that bump is, but it's gone now except for the redness. Like I said the swelling has gone down somewhat. I didn't think it was dropsy at first cuz it was only on the right side but the fact the scales were raised were concerning me and with the bump was making me think she had an infection. You're right though, it could be an abcess or something on that line, no idea though. I just don't know what to use...

use the stuff you have and don't worry about buying the melafix and primafix. Melafix/Primafix are both natural but mild antiseptics and she may need somethying stronger... look at the ingredients on the stuff you have and let me know what it says and i will tell you weather it's antibiotics are not.

Oooh.. also could possible be some sort of parasite... i just thought of that... maybe you would want to try some parasitic medication if this doesn't work? You can always do a 100% water change and try a different med.... it is stressful, but easy to do with betta's.

megladonsharky said:
aquarium salt ....

Personally i wouldn't recommend using aquarium salt unless it is a brackish fish because it disrupts the osmotic pressure making it harder for the fish to maintain their osmotic pressure.

Oh and i believe the melafix isn't recommendid for antabods (spelling?) like gouramis and betta's.. they say it can harm the labrynth organ. Try the meds you have and let us know how it goes.

@___@ I can't find the box...*digs* This is why you don't have me clean my room, I either toss or lose whatever I need >.>

I do know that it's an antiobiotic medication that is used for dropsy, pop-eye, fin/tail rot, septicemia, secondary and internal infections and I remember the dosage I used for my 2.5 gal tank when my danio had dropsy so I'll just use that and see how it goes.

dropsy, septiemia, and all of those other things are BACTERIAL infections. Almost all the meds you will buy for fish have some sort of antibiotic in them.

I know, but you were the one who told me to tell you ingredients to figure out if it had antibiotics or not lol

Do not use Melafix or Pimafix, these are not suggested for Anabantids.
Instead use the product 'Bettafix' which is designed for use with Bettas, Gouramies and the like.

Puriti said:
I know, but you were the one who told me to tell you ingredients to figure out if it had antibiotics or not lol

oh yeah.. LOL

Back
Top Bottom