I have ich.I need help on a course of action.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktulu909

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok folks,heres the stock list.

9 Red eye Tetras
5 Red Minor Serpae Tetra
5 emerald cory cats
1 small Black Moor
1 small calico fantail
2 3" clown loaches
1 african dwarf frog
1 fiddler crab

I know its an oddball stock list,but I have ich and want to save everyone.
Tank is a 55,dont worry,I have a 150 in the works for when the loaches and goldfish get bigger. PH is 7.6 Amm is 0 Nitrite is 0 and Nitrate is 20. API master kit.

Two Emporor 400 HOB filters.Regular cartridges about a 6 weeks old,polyfill in the gray housings.Sand substrate,200 watt aqueon heater.

Is salt and heat the way to go with my stock?

And please no chastizing on things like the fiddler crab LOL He has an underwater island habitat.

I just read so many conflicting reports with salt and particularly loaches.

You have an issue here because not all of your fish & creatures can handle .3% salinity needed to kill ich. The fancy goldfish can't tolerate the high temps needed to kill it either. You may want consider either treating separately (goldfish separate from high heat) or using an ich med to treat. The frog & crab do not carry ich & should be moved elsewhere no matter how you are treating.

well,ive bumped the temp up to 84 and have been treating with Ich Attack which is supposedly safe for everyone.Havnt had any losses other than one red eye tetra and everyone is eating well and looks good.Fewer spots the last few days which is good.

Im moving the tank tonight into my bedroom,so a massive water change is about to happen.gonna vacuum the sand as thoroughly as one can vacuum sand lol.

If this measure doesnt work,then Ill re house the two fancys who have no spots what so ever with big stupid (my girlfriends 6" indestructible goldfish) in my 30 along with the crab and frog and start treating with salt as well as heat.

Thank you for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom