I need help QUICK! My Blood Parrot is dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kades

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 50 gallon tank. It is well cycled. It's been up and running for over a year. Yesterday out of no where my blood parrot started acting funny ( pointing nose at bottom of tank, resting at top of tank) which is out of her character. I did a simple water change (like always) about two weeks ago (25%) Today she is in her cave and is basically swimming around and around. her face looks like it's loosing color almost a white color (NOT ICH) any advice??? I went to local petsmart had the water testes twice and everything is perfect. The nitrates were barely elevated from the previous water change. I don't want my fish to die! also my tiger barbs are acting out of character as well they are dashing around everywhere. oh last thing I have 1Blood Parrot, 5 tiger barbs, and 1 pearl gourmi

I also treated with a fungal treatment as directed by the manger there who has many years experience.

Hi! If your fish are acting strange out of the blue, I have to suspect your water. A 25% water change only once every 2 weeks simply is not sufficent to restore lost buffers and minerals that are necessary for fish and tank health or to remove accumulated nitrates & dissolved solids. Petsmart uses strips- these are inaccurate at best and I would not trust these results.

I dont know what type of meds Petsmart suggested for you to use. Was it by any chance Lifeguard? Adding meds when you dont know what exactly you are dealing with may have only complicated the situation and degraded your water quality further. I would start by doing a 40-50% water change with temperature matched, properly conditioned water. Once we know what you added, we can make further suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom