I think my angel has columnaris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerbchek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
He's been sitting at the bottom, within the plant or way at the top. He swims crooked and was easily pushed to the top of the tank horzontially when he swam past the bubbler stone. I noticed white fluff looking stuff around his mouth and whitish blotches on his sides... It'snot ich. He's a black angel.

The amonia has been high, I thought it was a cycled tank as I bought it used... filled it, treated with Prime and put 4 tetras in it. Amonia levels were at zero for about a week, so I put in 6 angels at once (may have been a mistake...) Then the amonia level kept testing at about 0.5 almost every day since, so I've done daily 50% water changes since I bought the angels 5 days ago.

A couple of days ago I noticed one of the black angels looking sick - he actually was missing and I was suprised neither of the boys said he died and they just flushed him- but I couldn't figure out where he was, I moved things around and still couldn't locate him... then the next morning he was back - it's come up missing and reappeared about 3 times now - weird.

Anyway, after researching I figured he had some kind of bacterial or fungal disease, probably columnaris.

The filter is a "Regent" - I think it's a Wal Mart brand... the guy said it was rated large enough for a 30 gallon, which is what the tank is. The temp has maintained at 78 degrees F.

I did another water change, added a bubbler, and added aquarium salt.

Should I add Melafix or Pimafix or both? I'd hate for him to die, and I'd hate for the others to be sick as well...

Thank you for any advice...

BTW, in my older 55, two of my black Mollies are showing signs of ich... I'm in the process of increasing the temperature slowly... I hope my pleco doesn't mine...:-?

Sorry to hear your angel is sick. From your description it does sound like colunnaris. The best treatment is a QT tank and some maracyn. If you can't QT then treat the tank with maracyn. Keep testing the parameters to make sure the ammonia stays at 0ppm. What size tank is this one?

For the 55 raise the temps 1-2 degrees every 6-12 hours. If the temps are raised too slowly the ich will increase and the fish will not be able to take the infestation well. Increase aeration or lower the water level a bit to increase splash. The pleco will be fine through the treatment. Better than salt or meds for him.

Thanks Zags...

The Mollies in the 55 are doing great, the white spots are fewer. The tank has been at about 88 degrees since I went to bed last night - I'll leave it that way for a while, the fish are more active than I thought they'd be, I thought maybe with the increased temperature, they'd swim slower - I've never raised the temp that far up before - I tried to keep it to a degree or so every 6 hours... It took about 36 hours to get it up 10 degrees... I'm not the most patient person...:-|

I lost 3 angels in the 30 gallon - I had 7, I think I introduced too many fish at once, there was red on the gills of two of the light colored striped ones and they swam crooked last night - they were dead this morning. The black angel I first posted about was pretty much dead before I posted the my first question.

I did not add medicine? Should I still for the saftey of the others? I did add salt to their water though... should I keep doing that? The guy I bought them from said he doesn't add salt to his angel's water...

The others seem healthy and swim briskly and seem to eat fine - I did a partial water change after I removed the dead fish, amonia level was 0 though, but I thought it wouldn't hurt. Hopefully the others stay healthy, but I won't be introducing any new fish to this tank for a while.

Are frozen blood worms ok for Angels? I threw a few in, for fun, while I was feeding my dwarf puffers - the Angels went NUTS over them...:crazyeyes:

Thanks again for the advice.

Kerby

If everyone seems ok don't add meds. You should not need more salt. Frozen bloodworms are ok for angels. Not all the time, but a treat.

Glad to hear everyone is ok in the 55, the increase in temps increases metabolism so they are more active.

Back
Top Bottom