ich??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it can but usually the tell tale signs are the white spots that develop on the fish.
+1

It will look like they are covered in snow, also some fish will rub themselves against rock/hard surfaces as if they were scratching themselves. This is also called "flashing"

Ich looks like grains of salt on the fish. However that being said, ich can be in the gills only and not visible on the fish at all. The flashing as Jimbo said is another indication. Cichlids "flash" as part of their nature so depending on the fish, so ich can be hard to diagnose in the gills of cichlids.

Ich looks like grains of salt on the fish. However that being said, ich can be in the gills only and not visible on the fish at all. The flashing as Jimbo said is another indication. Cichlids "flash" as part of their nature so depending on the fish, so ich can be hard to diagnose in the gills of cichlids.

I just clicked this from the active forums bar on the main page, didnt even realize it was in the FW/B section, Thanks for following up on that Zagz

i've had fish with ich before. my silver dollar has just been particularly active and acting strange today. it looks like there might be white dots, but i can't really tell.

Sometimes fish get weird just like we do. If he starts flashing or gets spots he probably has ich. If you want to be precautionary, start turning up the heat slowly to 87-88F and add extra aeration. If it is ich, the increase in heat will start by accelerating the ich infestation.

alright, i'll observe him for a bit to see if anything resembling the ich spots appear and i'll up the temperature. thanks.

it is ich. i found my angelfish dead this morning and my silver dollar with some spots. i added in a half dosage of quick cure which has seemed to be effective in my past experience. i'm also in the process of raising the water temperature. anything else i should do?

I would not use the medications if it were me. Heat will work and will not do anything to your beneficial bacteria. I have treated ich with heat with 100% success and no deaths more than once.

alright, so my temp. is up to about 86 degrees. if i stop giving them quick cure, what else should i be doing? water changes?

Yes water changes with the water temp matched every 3-4 days will help. Make sure to add an airstone or lower the water level a bit.

hm the same fish are getting white patches on their skin. i don't think i've seen this before with ich. do you know what it is?

That is entirely different from ich. It sounds bacterial in nature, possibly columnaris. Are the white patchy cottony or fuzzy?

Back
Top Bottom