Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ich?

Hi,
What are the symptoms of ich? My new guppies are flashing and rubbing, and I'm just a bit worried that they may have it.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Read this article everything you need is there.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ich-38796.html

Old 02-05-2011, 02:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just a newbie myself, but I wanted to say good luck! Thanks for the link hdultra!
Old 02-05-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's fantastic! Thank you can I dose my tank if I've got plants in the tank or does it depend on the meds that I get?
Old 02-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say that tour plants would be ok. But be advised I do not have live plant. I have read that it does not hurt plants.
Check this web site out.

http://www.novalek.com/kordon/ridich/index.htm

It will tell you everything you need to know about the product.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is the product that I use. It's one of the safer ones to use.

Kordon's Rid∑Ich+ is a combination of two powerful medications which have proven effective in the control of many diseases of freshwater fishes caused by external protozoan (single cell) parasites such as white spot disease, Ichthyophthiriasis, Costia, Trichodina, Chilodonella and saltwater external parasites such as Cryptocaryon and Amyloodinium . The medication can also treat fungal infections in fishes.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engel View Post
Just a newbie myself, but I wanted to say good luck! Thanks for the link hdultra!

Your welcome, glad I was here to help.....
Old 02-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I finally managed to get to a pet shop and buy some anti ich stuff, and am now dosing my tank.
I'm quite nervous about it, but hopefully it will help.
The only type I could get contains formaldehyde and malachite green oxalate.
I've put a dose in today, and need to put one more dose in in four days time. Fingers crossed that it works.
Thanks for your help everyone!
Old 02-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies86 View Post
I finally managed to get to a pet shop and buy some anti ich stuff, and am now dosing my tank.
I'm quite nervous about it, but hopefully it will help.
The only type I could get contains formaldehyde and malachite green oxalate.
I've put a dose in today, and need to put one more dose in in four days time. Fingers crossed that it works.
Thanks for your help everyone!
Post your water readings:
PH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrates
Temp
Old 02-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Temp is 26degrees C
Ph is 7.6
Nitrite is 0ppm
Nitrate is 10 or 20 (both colours look the same on the chart)
Ammonia is an inaccurate test because I've just run out of the second ammonia bottle (only got 4 drops instead of 8)
It says 0 at the moment, and when I tested before I added the anti ich it was 0ppm.
This is all using the API liquid test.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Temp is 26degrees C
Ph is 7.6
Nitrite is 0ppm
Nitrate is 10 or 20 (both colours look the same on the chart)
Ammonia is an inaccurate test because I've just run out of the second ammonia bottle (only got 4 drops instead of 8)
It says 0 at the moment, and when I tested before I added the anti ich it was 0ppm.
This is all using the API liquid test.
Ok good stuff.

Your temp is 78.8 converted.

Did your ich treatment say anything about raising the water temp.
I raised mine to 84 degrees, this will make the ich cycle run a little faster.
My treatment said to keep treating every day with pwc's
Old 02-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdultra

Ok good stuff.

Your temp is 78.8 converted.

Did your ich treatment say anything about raising the water temp.
I raised mine to 84 degrees, this will make the ich cycle run a little faster.
My treatment said to keep treating every day with pwc's
No, it didn't say anything about raising temperature. I'm a bit hesitant about doing that. It sounds like it works for other people, but I do worry how my fish would cope with a temp that high :/
The bottle doesn't say anything about pwc's. It does tell you to put the carbon back into the filter after the symptoms have cleared.
I'm a bit worried about leaving the tank for four days without a change (the ammonia went up after I added the guppies). If I do have to change the water, do you think it'd be ok to just add a bit more of the treatment?
Old 02-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
No, it didn't say anything about raising temperature. I'm a bit hesitant about doing that. It sounds like it works for other people, but I do worry how my fish would cope with a temp that high :/
The bottle doesn't say anything about pwc's. It does tell you to put the carbon back into the filter after the symptoms have cleared.
I'm a bit worried about leaving the tank for four days without a change (the ammonia went up after I added the guppies). If I do have to change the water, do you think it'd be ok to just add a bit more of the treatment?
That is what I would do if ammonia was present. PWC and just put the proper dose for the water you remove. I raised the temp on mine and it was gone in 5 days. My fish are hardy thou. What kind do you have.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We've got pepper corydoras, blue tetra and guppies. I need to get some more of the ammonia test ASAP! I ran out doing a test last night. Eep!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Let us know when you get the ammonia readings.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

How are you fish doing? It may be a little late, but I wanted to chime in with my temperature experience. When I first got my fish I raised the temp thinking it was best for them. Next morning they were lethargic so I dropped it, and called the lfs that day to find out what theirs was. It was not as high as mine (duh). When I got ich last week I worried that the higher temp during treatment would affect them, but I raised it VERY (as in over two and a half days) gradually from 77 to 83.4. I kept a close eye on them, and they did fine, and my ich is gone after a week. I'm currently returning the temp back very slowly, because I now understand my angels will live longer at lower temps due to a slower metabolism.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's exactly what I did. Only difference was that my temp was just above 84 f.
After the last spot was seen I waited a additional 3 day of treatment. Then installed the carbon. After that reduced the temp 1 degrees about every 4 hours.

Good job Engel...
Old 02-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm going to have trouble knowing when to stop treating because mine aren't showing any spots, just doing the flicking and gasping. The flicking has reduced over the past few days, and I'm not home all day to watch for the flicking. How long should I leave it after the last dose do you think?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would wait three days after the signs have gone away.

When that happens put you carbon filters back in and set the temp slowly back to were it is normally. The carbon will soak up the meds. After a day or so recheck the water chemistry to see were it's at.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok thank you.
Water params. Today:
pH- 7.6
Am- 0
NitrIte- 0
NitrAte- 30 :/
I'd like to see the nitrate a bit lower, but if it doesn't go any higher while treating the tank, ill leave it as is.

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com