Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MamaJasmine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got my tank to a good spot after loosing all my fish minus one about 2 months ago. I have 4 platys and 3 RCS. The fish that survived the massive death from the Amonia Spike "lemonaide" has been acting funny for about a week now. At first I thought the 1 male platy I have was annoying her and she was hiding from him. Today she came out to eat with fins clamped and a white spot on her tail. I am not sure which method is best for my tank and I read the ich sticky on top and found myself more confused. I have the tank salt here and I am wondering if I should just add a bunch of salt? I am low on funds till friday when i get paid so I am hoping to just do the salt thing... but what is the best bet so I do not kill my RCS?

MamaJasmine said:
I just got my tank to a good spot after loosing all my fish minus one about 2 months ago. I have 4 platys and 3 RCS. The fish that survived the massive death from the Amonia Spike "lemonaide" has been acting funny for about a week now. At first I thought the 1 male platy I have was annoying her and she was hiding from him. Today she came out to eat with fins clamped and a white spot on her tail. I am not sure which method is best for my tank and I read the ich sticky on top and found myself more confused. I have the tank salt here and I am wondering if I should just add a bunch of salt? I am low on funds till friday when i get paid so I am hoping to just do the salt thing... but what is the best bet so I do not kill my RCS?

A small bottle of QuickCure for ick will do fantastic to cure ick really fast. Google it to find the best deals and call ur local pet stores to see if they have it and how much it is. At my local pet store (incredible pets) it was only 4 dollars for a small bottle.

Raise the temp slowly to 86 degrees F

Add an airstone to increase oxygenation

Do gravel vacs every 2-3 days to remove ich spore from substrate

Maintain this schedule for 2 weeks

A small bottle of QuickCure for ick will do fantastic to cure ick really fast. Google it to find the best deals and call ur local pet stores to see if they have it and how much it is. At my local pet store (incredible pets) it was only 4 dollars for a small bottle.

and will that be safe for my shrimp?

Raise the temp slowly to 86 degrees F

Add an airstone to increase oxygenation

Do gravel vacs every 2-3 days to remove ich spore from substrate

Maintain this schedule for 2 weeks

okay I will try this... I have an airstone in the tank already.. but I have a small one in their now and a big one I bought at the begining that i took out after a fish got stuck in the bubbles and died after being blasted to the top. Should I put my bigger one in for now?

You'll probably be fine with the smaller one.

It sounds like you're catching this right at the onset, so it shouldn't be too hard to take care of it.

Personally, I feel you should avoid meds wherever possible. They're just usually not necessary. Clean water goes a really long way towards keeping your fish healthy.

You'll probably be fine with the smaller one.

It sounds like you're catching this right at the onset, so it shouldn't be too hard to take care of it.

Personally, I feel you should avoid meds wherever possible. They're just usually not necessary. Clean water goes a really long way towards keeping your fish healthy.

ya I baby my finbabies...lol. I do 25% water changes every 7 days, 10 at the max if i am uber busy. But because I am watching my guys like a hawk right now, I noticed when lemonaide came out for her afternoon swim her white spot that looked like salt stuck to her was gone, but fins still clamped.. I got a good look at her and I did not see a thing.

What size tank is this?

I do 50% water changes on all of my tanks weekly.

What are your readings?

What size tank is this?

I do 50% water changes on all of my tanks weekly.

What are your readings?

10 gallon

I only have the ammonia liquid kit because they were so expensive individually at the LFS, and did not have the API master kit. Right now ammonia is its normal level, between 0 and .25%

Anything above 0 for ammonia is not normal, in fact, it's toxic.

You really need to pick up the API kit because you'll want to know your nitrites and nitrates as well. The entire kit only costs about $23.

Anything above 0 for ammonia is not normal, in fact, it's toxic.

You really need to pick up the API kit because you'll want to know your nitrites and nitrates as well. The entire kit only costs about $23.

I have never been able to get the color pee yellow.. I am starting to think it is my tap water because it is always a bit in the middle of the two colors even after water changes.

But you're not doing your testing with tap water..... ;)

As I said, if I were you, I'd up the amount of water changes. You have to especially when your readings are different than 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and <20 nitrates.

so I just tested my tap water and it has an ammonia level of exactly .25 ugh what does this mean for my water changes? do I need to boil the water first? I am really not wanting to buy bottled water for this... would a britta filter work?

That's why you use a dechlorinator....... many of us have ammonia in our tap water. You don't need to use special water.

well I can say this.. I started turning up the temp in the tank and now all the fish and shrimp are all very active like I gave them fishy crack...

so.. here is the deal.. my heater only heats to 80 degrees.. I even looked it up and double checked with the manufacturer.. it is how it is made. I either need to get a second tank to put the shrimp in so I can move my shrimp and treat it with chemicals.. or get a new heater... to complicate things my shrimp had babies and there are about 5 so far I have found in one plant. So now I can either move my 3 shrimp and all the babies and search for them (oy vey) or find a better heater. Can anyone recommend a heater that will go up higher for a 10 gallon tank?

I got myself two loaches several days ago and failed to quarintine and the very next day ich shows up everywhere. I feel for you and wish you luck as we have the same battle ahead of us. I'm reaching 88 degrees in my tank trying to wipe it out. Go get a heater rated for a larger tank and check the dial to see how high it goes.

Back
Top Bottom