Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niks76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I believe I have a couple fish with ich (white spots). One fish has a lot and another only has a few. They are both swordtails. The thing is is that this is the first I am seeing this and I haven't added any fish or plants to this tank in over two years. Could I have introduced ich with flake food or the frozen cube type food?

The parameters have been stable. I use a master test kit every week and the numbers don't change that much. It is a 29 gallon and I replace 5-10 gallons per week using RO water.

Should I just go the higher temp / salt route? The tank is heavily planted with amazon swords and some other plant I forget the name to. I have swordtails, a couple neons, and a pleco.

Raising the temp slowly can help. Ich is unfortunately pretty common. Can be brought on by any sort of stress. Don't jump to the salt without checking if the fish can tolerate it. My loaches can't, not sure about the Pleco.

Try stopping at 82 degrees for a day or two, I only say that because my neons couldn't tolerate the higher temps and I lost the entire school.

Wow. It is really hard to get a good pic of a fish that doesn't stop moving. ;)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390273376.819944.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390273388.872028.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390273415.630898.jpg

That last pic definitely looks like ich

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom