Ich!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big_al01

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so my balloon Molly has ich and so does a Platy of mine (both put of separate tanks) I isolated them and started treating with medication! I caught it early so should I have to treat both tanks or just the fish that have it? I think I caught it early enough that I won't have to treat both tanks! Please help me out!

If the fish have ich then so do the tanks. However, ich needs a host so if the tanks have no fish in them the ich should die on it's own after a period of time (I think it is 10 days but you might want to google it to double check).

Also a cheaper and easier (imo) method to treat ich is to raise your tanks temperature to 86 degrees over the course of several hours, no more then 2 degrees an hour (it can't reproduce at temperatures above 86 unless you have a resiliant stand, it dies at 88 degrees but that temperature can be stressful to some fish) and do water changes and gravel vacumes every day to every two days. Three days AFTER you no longer see white spots slowly lower your temperature back to normal.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom