Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chaik

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've done everything to get rid of ich all of the symptoms have gone away when can I be sure it's really gind

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would say for tropical fish a week to 10 days after last spot seen. This is just in case it is hiding in the gills. Quickest I've been successful using basically heat method is 4 days or so after last spot (one last one was visible for ages).

Best way to kill off ich is to remove the fish from tank and heat the tanks temp to about 84 degrees. 4 days later ich should be dead

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't mean to seam ignorant but what do you do with the fish. I had success heating the tank to 86-90F and adding a little aquarium. Whole leaving the fish in

You have to keep the fish in the tank during treatment or it's pointless.

Sorry. The fish that aint infected should be moved. This is what I had previously done and was successful. The ich will be in the tank now trying to attatch itself to other healthy fish

They most likely are all infected in the gills even if you cannot see spots on them.

Yes by now I agree they all most likely will be infected and should be treated inside the tank. I had a molly that was devwloping ich. Took her out as soon as I noticed. Thankfully 2 weeks later all other fish are healthy. Caught it in time.

Ich is only killed when unvisible and free in the water. The visible spots on the fish will not be killed with any treatment. This is why it is important to heat your tank for 24hrs to kill off all ich in the water and then lower the temp again until you see the spots disappearing off your fish(this is part of the life cycle of ich). This means the ich has left your fish and is now free in the water. So reheat your tank to kill it again. Repeat this process until no ich is seen for a week.

The ich life cycle only continues in ideal temps. The high temp will kill off all ich in the water that is not on the fish. You have to bring the temp back down to allow the spots to come off your fish. At the lower temps the ich continues its life cycle by coming off your fish and free into the water where you can raise the temp and kill it off again. The spots on your fish wont be killed by the high temps. The ich has to be in the water to be vulnerable to the high temperature.

The method I described worked great for me. My fish were better in a week and I haven't had any problems with another out break. There are numerous ways to treat ich but I found this to be most effective for me. Hope it works for you!

Back
Top Bottom