Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmccollough

Aquarium Advice Newbie
All:

I recently have been treating my freshwater (30 gallon) tank for Ich.

I did not realize how bad the situation had gotten until I saw my bala sharks with white dots. They passed on, so I decided to treat the remaining fish for ich, since surely they were infected with it as well.

Currently my fish population is 7 tiger barbs, 5 rosy barbs and 3 cory catfish.

I treated with Rid-Ich+ for 6 days at half strength since what I have read is that I needed to treat at half strength because of the corys.

On Friday I did a final 50% water change replaced my filters and added some extra carbon to my Filter (emperor 400).

I tested my water Saturday, all is fine with Ammonia =0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 5ppm, Water temp is between 76 and 78 degrees.

What I am concerned about is the behaviour of the barbs, most of them seem to be kinda hangin around the bottom of the tank and not much else, and from what I can observe I would say breathing rapidly. They show no visible signs of Ich (no white spots), I have seen them scratching some, but not alot.

Is it possible that they still have Ich and that I need to continue treatment ?

What could be causing there strange behaviour ?

:?

generally i would suggest treating for ich longer than 6 days, BUT your little barbs sound stressed--are they eating? do you see any other signs of illness on their bodies? i haven't had fish 'flash' with ich, but they will do that with many parasites...perhaps try a broad spectrum parasite killer if they are not eating and their behavior doesn't improve...look at them very closely, body and fins , and try to see the inside of their gills when they breathe and see if you can spot any abnormalities there as well...

I had initially thought that I would also need to treat for longer than 6 days, but after talking with my LFS they convinced me that 6 days would be long enough.

They are eating, there appetite does not seem to be impaired as when I go to feed them they come up to the top of the tank and grab there food, the tigers mixed with the rosy looks like a little feeding frenzy, which since they are eating so enthusiastically, I would hope that is a good sign.

I have been watching them closely for the last few days and see no outward signs that would be causing there stress. I will attempt to get a look inside there gills and see what I can.

What is fish flash ?

Overall, there behavious seems to be improved a little, last night they did get out and be a little more active in the tank, just not what I am accustomed with the barbs, they are usually very active.

I will just keep watching them and hope for the best.

first things first--NEVER take the clerk at the pet stores word for it, always do your own research--at least at the chain stores, most of these folks are making minimum wage, half of them have probably never kept fish, etc...do your own checking on things, then ask them to test their accuracy, often you will find large discrepancies....flashing is when a fish throws themselves against rocks, decorations , gravel, etc.--usually they have some sort of parasite they are trying to free themselves of, or maybe it just plain itches...lol...if your barbs look ok, and are eating, just keep an eye on them until things get back to normal....

Back
Top Bottom