Ich and Neon Mouth Growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adefrisk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First time poster here :)

I am fairly new to fish keeping and have a few disease questions...

I have a 220ltr (55g) freshwater, planted, tank that was set up about 8 weeks ago. I slowly introduced a few fish each week (5 neons, another 5 neons, 1 bristle nose catfish, 1 pre-existing clown loach, 2 small clown loaches).

0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate (I think the plants are taking all they get), 26 deg C, Ph 8 (just like my tap water). I do a 30% weekly water changes.

Problem 1: 6 days after I introduced the 2 small clown loaches I noticed that they had ich. I increased the temperature to 29 deg C and the next day I treated with Blue Planet Fungus Cure (Malachite Green and Acriflavine) at half strength (as recommended for the loaches).

Question 1: 72 hours after increasing the temperature and 48 hours after commencing the treatment they have more spots than ever (see recent photo). From what I have read the spots should be gone by now? I can't see spots on any other fish. All fish are active and eating normally though the 2 loaches are flashing and occasionally breathing at the surface.

Problem 2: Several (4-5) of the neons have some degree of fin damage and a couple (2-3) have white growths on their mouths that appear to be getting larger. I noticed these problems when I first brought them home and assumed they were damaged from overcrowding in the shop. I didn't see the problem in the shop because they have so many swimming around, too fast to see properly. It doesn't look fungal and the internet is full of other people having similar problems with neons. All of my neons are active, eating normally and schooling.

Question 2: If the Blue Planet Fungus Cure doesn't work should I euthanise the fish with growths on the mouths, despite the fact they otherwise seen fine, or try some other course of action?

1.jpg

2.jpg

Hi mate, got a QT? From similar experience with neons in Perth I’d suspect bacterial - columnaris for neons. Especially with temp increase and buying neons over summer. Would hospital tank those neons straight away. Meds wise - what antibiotics can you get / have on stock?

For the ich, start changing out 25% of your water daily with a light gravel/substrate vacuum. Keep your water temp at 30 degrees Celsius.

Ich update.

It is now 7 days of elevated temperature and 6 days of treatment. One of the clown loaches only has a couple of spots remaining but the other still has quite a few (maybe a third of what is shown in the picture above). Both fish are skinny but still active.

I can't believe that I still have visible ich after all this time!

Sadly my bristlenose catfish died yesterday, I guess the Malachite Green killed it as it wasn't showing signs of ick. Just to confirm, I was medicating at half strength because of the fish species I have.

Q. How long should I keep treating once there are no visible spots?

Delapool - I will worry about the Columaris after I sort the ich as my QT has a healthy fish on it, waiting to move to my main tank. I have read that Malachite Green should work against the Columaris too, though I can't see any improvement.

I am really not enjoying the experience of populating my first large tank.

84 F with the he treatment . Some treatment are strong and they might not survive and u have to try

Back
Top Bottom