Ich and now rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueAura

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all I'm having a problem in my 29 gallon that has me completely perplexed. About three weeks ago I noticed ich on my hatchetfish. I tried Kordon Ich attack to get rid of the ich, along with raising the temperature. The ich got so bad it killed 2 hatchets and started spreading to the other fish.

So I took out my three snails and ghost shrimp and put them into a separate tank and treated the 29 gallon with malachite green. After the treatment I did a partial water change and I also put a filter cartridge containing carbon into the filter. 4 days later, I did another PWC, took the cartridge out, and put the snails and shrimp back in. During this time one of my glass catfish went missing. I never found him. Now I find that another of my glass catfish is completely missing his tail fin.

I've been trying and trying to puzzle this out, but I don't know how to proceed... Maybe it was the malachite green? Should I do a general all purpose cure, or do water changes like mad, or what? My HOB filter has bio media added to it to keep the BB safe because all I had were those premade carbon filter cartridges. All my water is treated with Prime. Also I have at least 8 live plants, so I can't use salt.

After all this, I'm still not 100% sure the ich is cured.

Any guidance is immensely appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom