Ich and temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have any of you successfully treated ich without meds, just by raising the tank temp to 86 and doing water changes?

I have before. But only if I catch it in time. If it's an outbreak, I'll treat with Aquari-sol.

My tank is 29 gallons and only 1 of the 15 fish has it (a cardinal tetra). He was just introduced to the tank on Saturday and was going to be our last addition. Now I am kicking myself for not having a proper quarantine tank. Once this is figured out we are not going to add fish without quarantine first!

I got Ich from a Cardinal once too. I medicated as directed on the bottle and killed 5 Cardinals and 13 Neon Tetras, and it didn't even take care of the Ich. I've always treated with salt from that point onwards.

Hope you get it sorted without losses...

i have treated ich several times just raising the temp.
when you raise the temp be sure to add a bubbler if you don't already have one.
also you have to continue to keep the temp up for at least 2 weeks after you see the last signs of ich.
read this article it helps alot. Freshwater Ich? Yuck!

THe original sick cardinal tetra is not looking so great this morning. I'm tempted to move him out of there into a small tank that we just got. Do you ever move your sick fish and treat it alone, as well as treat the whole tank?

Yea I try to treat the fish alone as much as possible. I'll usually put the sick fish in my 12 gal plastic bucket. When the sick fish is alone, there is no other fish to bother it and stress it out. The fish should respond to the meds better. Plus you will be using less meds in a smaller tank.

Is your tetra covered with ich now?

Since you caught the ick early on in your tank, higher temp and Aquarium salt should work for them.
But for the new ick carrier? don't think so. You have no way of knowing how long he/she has been ill.
It's best to remove it asap to prevent any further infections and to medicate the sick one.
It also helps to keep the lighting low or off for the first few days. It helps to keep the fish calmer.
I learned the hard way about QT. I added 3 New Neon Tetras from a usually very good FS and a few days later my entire tank had a bad case of ick. Then one by one over the next eight hours, they all died.
It was my first experience with ick. I'd had fish for almost 6 years, no problems. Then wham! All gone in a day. It was horrid, but I learned fast about ick and quarantine. I've had a couple small ick out breaks since then but now I know the signs. I look for them every day and when I've seen it, it's always been early and I haven't lost another fish to ick since.
Of course now I've had to learn about popeye, bloat, tail walking, and hole in the head. I lost one to bloat and 2 very young cichlids to tail walking. I didn't know what they were, now I do and my fish are safer for it.
I started reading more and joined up here on AA. And thanks to everyone here on AA, except for a killer Red Zebra Cichlid, I'm not loosing anymore fish.
I had to take Sonny back to the FS where they are trying to rehab him a little before re-homing.
Good luck to you. And QT is the best thing you can do for all your fish. Not just for new fish, but even if you need to separate a fish for any reason.
I now have a 10g QT and a 5g hosp. tank. They spend a lot of time empty but I always keep them running just in case, we never know. They take very little effort or space and are a blessing when you have need of them.

I am really stressed out about my poor fish! After I saw that the original sick cardinal tetra had taken a turn for the worse (not more ick, but he wasn't swimming and was pale, losing his color) I immediately set up our new 6 gallon tank. I went to net the fish and couldn't find him. I haven't seen him since! He's probably dead and I have no idea how to find him and get him out of there! This morning a few more fish have ich spots. The tank finally hit 85 degrees last night. I'm afraid to add salt because I have some cories in there and I heard they do not tolerate salt well. I'm hoping that no one else dies from the ich and that the high temperatures will help. The one with the most spots now is the first fish we ever bought, a black skirt tetra, and we are very fond of him. How often do you lose a lot of fish while treating with elevated temps?

I've never lost a fish due to temp, I've been up to 90 degrees (with Peppered Corydoras). The worst I have ever had from salt is minor popeye, but that was because I overdosed (from reading how much salt to add on another forum). I've since found out that was almost 4 times more than required.

Back
Top Bottom