Ich battle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmize89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone so I ha e 2 tanks currently, a 56 g column and a 60 gallon long. All of my fish except for one are in the 56 g due to the fact that there is ich in that tank and I have been battling it for going on 3 weeks now. So a little about the 56g. Water parameters:
Current temp. 86 degrees
Ph. 7.6
Amm. 0
Nitrite. 0
Nitrate. 20
The tank has a sand substrate, live plants, real and fake decor. A finnex planted plus led light. 2 hob filters. One is a fluval 70. And the other is a whisper 60. Plenty of aeration. Also an aqueon pro 200 watt heater. Also I do weekly 20% water changes. Now before you tell me I realize the tank is overstocked but like I stated I can't move them to there new tank until this ich is taken care of so current stocking is as follows.
1 red severum 3"
2 electric blue acara 2" and 1.5"
1 pearl cichlid (geophagus) 2"
3 roseline sharks 2.5"
1 synodontis multipunctatus 3.5"
1 synodontis angelicus hybrid 2"
1 tiger pleco 2.5"
I hillstream loach 2" ( I kno he is out of place but he was given to me a while ago)

Now the ich originally started with the acara. Over the past 3 weeks the heat has been 84-86 degrees f. I have been using kordons ich attack 100% natural in conjunction with the heat method. I have plenty of aeration. So I saw no problem with using them together. The problem is that the ich has basically only been on either the acaras or the severum. And I will go away for a day then boom right back. Am I doing something wrong or did I stumble upon one of the crazy persistent ich species lol I've had no casualties and all the fish eat like there is nothing wrong also no lethargic behavior. It's frustrating because I have a whole other tank with a 2.5" green terror that I want to move most of them too but I cant. So please any and all information. Would be greatly appreciated. Also if anymore info is needed please let me kno. Thanks for your time.

Note: the water is the brownish color due to the ich attack med.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1431037561514.jpg
    1431037561514.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 82
Kordons ich attack (natural) seems to have a relatively lower success rate. Less harsh med from what I can find but either slower acting or not as effective.

Yes I kno about ich and it's life cycle, it's been an obsession most recently for me. And yes following the directions to the T. Yes I was starting to think it may be the ich attack because it's all natural. So what do u recommend I use? Is it ok to switch meds like that during treatment?

Oh BTW according to ich attack instructions you don't have to vacuum gravel/water change until the end of treatment

Please read the link on how to kill ich.
The real kordon ich attack won't mess with your bacteria or plants
and your stocking suggest you don't have shrimp
so try real meds!
I agree with Del , most who use "herbal" have shrimp or don't understand what some meds do correctly.
Spoiler alert (if you go to read the link)
Ich falls off fish and multiplies (possibly by the thousands) in the substrate until becoming free swimming and attacking fish again so DAILY vacuuming and replacement of meds for volume removed will go a long way!

Ok I will read the thread but my reasoning for not using meds with ingredients such as malachite green etc.. is its said to dye the silicone edges and tubing in the tank. Also dome decor and sand.

The mg really should not stain any of your silicone.
MG and formalin in combonation are among the most sucessful ich meds going(kordon rid ich plus).

Ok so would how would I go about switching treatments? Water change then start dosing rid ich plus? Also should the temp stay at 86 or can it be lowered to to normal (75f) while treating with rid ich plus?

IMO the herbal product will just fade away(I have no proof).
Water changes will always help and seem safe to remove med and improve water quality.
Then I would lower the temp back to normal.
I don't like to mix meds/treatments although some are fine.
Then start the rid ich plus and follow directions and change water(vac substrate) daily or every other day and redose meds for volume removed along with daily treatment.

Ok then I will do a water change right now and start dosing rid ich plus in the morning, just such cause I just bought a new bottle of ich attack 2 days ago and it's like 15 bucks a bottle lol

Back
Top Bottom