Ich battle almost over, now Barb won't eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petrah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Before I continue, the two tiger barbs I have are going to a new home *after* I get rid of the ich as I know (now) that the tank is too small. I originally had 5 Barbs. I started the tank around the 1st of Jan I think it was.

What I have: 10 gallon Marineland starter kit tank.
What's in it: 1 Green Tiger Barb, 1 regular Tiger Barb, 4 Ghost Shrimp, hollow fake log and some fake plants.
What I'm using: In Tank Glass Thermometer, Api Master Test Kit, Prime, Api Aquarium Salt, Topfin Medium Gravel Vac, an Airstone, Omega One Super Veggie flakes, and Omega One Super Color Flakes (veggie is every 3rd day).
Api test kit: PH has been a tad higher than normal since I began the salt treatment, but it was already a tad high out of the tap. Norm is roughly 7.4 but lately it's been between 7.8 and 8.0. Yesterday for the first time my Ammo levels went above normal to .25, but a PWC brought it down. I think the slight rise may have been due to the death of a Ghost Shrimp? NirAte and Nitrite have both been 0 throughout the treatment. I've been testing the water right before each and every water change.
What I've done: Started aprox 3 weeks ago and began performing the salt and high temp treatment. I've tried to maintain (slowly at first) an 87F temp. I've done PWC every 2 to 3 days (2G out, 2G in w/ bucket treated with 4 drops Prime and 1 TS salt). When I fill up the bucket I make sure that the temp of the water coming out of the tub faucet is roughly 88F (it drops a degree or so while sitting for a few) and I check it with a glass thermo.

Yesterday is the first day I've been able to look at the fish and notice they've had no spots at all. The green Tiger Barb (I call him Piggy because he eats just about all the food before the others can get to it) is very active and will come up to the glass and say hello whenever we go up to the tank.

The regular Tiger Barb (Tigger... don't ask) has not eaten in almost a week. Even when the food floats down in front of his face. He swims around sometimes but mostly stays behind the foliage very close to the airstone. Once in awhile the two fish will play chase, but they never nip. I don't know what to do to get him to eat. :(

Any advice?

They may be stressed due to the high temp. They may start eating when the temp goes back down. Fish can go a whole without eating.

Good to know! The one that's not eating is looking rather emaciated. :(

Can you elaborate a bit more about the garlic food?

There are some foods like New Life Spectrum that are garlic enhanced to attract fish. You may be able to rub a clove of garlic on food you already have.

All I have is flake food at the moment. Will check out the New Life Spectrum though... thank you!

Good news Holly... you were right! :thanks:

I lowered the temp a bit yesterday and a tiny bit more today. Tigger is now eating, and seems to have a lot more energy. :dance:

Hopefully this Ich mess is over, but I will continue to monitor them both closely before I attempt to get them to their new home.

Back
Top Bottom