ICH! But how do I know for sure?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriznat20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 2 small bala sharks today from my LFS that I always purchase fish from. About 4-5 months ago, I purchased 3 neon tetras from there, they had ICH (not visible to me at time of purchase) and by the time I started medicating and raising temps it was too late. I lost 60% of my fish :(

Ok, the healing process has started so Im starting to re-stock. The 2 small balas I picked out were in the tank for 2 weeks at the LFS, so werent "brand new". I specifically picked them out because they were the nicest looking with no visible problems whatsoever.

My luck - I get them home, acclimate them for 1/2 hour in their bags (seperate BIG bags), net em out, go look an hour ago and the one has a grain of salt on his lower fins (dorsal?). "SH!T" ! , as im sure you've said that before too when something like this happens!

I went and purchased a 5 gallon QT from walmart, the kind with the filter in the hood with the wheel. I scooped gravel out from my tank, with a plant and siphoned the water out of my 55g so the good bacteria would be there and seed itself into the filter and bio-wheel.

My question, after that long intro is this:
Sounds like ICH, dont it? Since I just got the fish at 3pm today, noticed the spot around 8pm, is there any threat to my 55g tank that he "was" in?
All of the other fish are spot free and healthy. Should I start treating the little 5 gallon with the 1 possible infected bala with Ick Guard now? Should I start raising the temp in the 55g just to be safe?

I dont want to jump to conclusions, but I do realize the value of a QT now. After my last bout w/ICH and it taking my favorite pals, Im not messing around anymore! Ive already read the link to the ICH info here, its very good, I just need re-assurance I guess :roll:

If I were you I would return the bala back to the 55 gal. A 5 gal tank (even only keeping him in there for a few days) is way to small for him. He'll get stressed out not being able to swim around. I would increase the temp in the 55 gal tank to 87 degrees and leave the fish be. If it was ich, it will die off. If it wasn't, the temp won't hurt them. Just be sure to increase the temp slowly. A quick jolt in temp will just cause stress. I wouldn't use any salts or chemicals because of the fish that you have.

BTW- A 55 gal tank is too small for those sharks. You may want to re-think the purchase. HTH

Nah, Im gonna be happy that I bought them and got them out of those crowded 10 gallon tanks at the fish store and some obnoxious kid didnt buy 5 of them and put them in a 10 gallon. I think my purchase is very justified.

Anyways, Im going to raise the temp up 1degree tonite and tomorrow morning another degree. Right now the tank is steady at 80.
You know what they say about an ounce of prevention.

Yep. :D

The Bala's will get very large (10 inches) and should really be kept in a 75 gal tank minimum. That's why I say that you may want to re-think it.

Back
Top Bottom