Ich?? But no spots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2me

Aquarium Advice Freak
Please can someone advise me...I have 2 platty's in a 60 litre, newly cycled tank (6weeks old) both fish eating but have seen them move erratically 'rubbing' themselves on decorations a couple of times in the last couple of days...also have seen top clamped fin on occation?! No spots, not as active as usual. Have added aeration as increased temp to 26. Water tested near perfect (master test kit) doing 40% water changes every second day......what is going on??????

Oh...I have checked on them again and they are very active??? Swimming fast back and forth almost on the glass of the tank, fins no longer clamped? I wonder if the air flow in new pump is too fast for them? Do they usually like slow moving water? Or would they have perked up with the o2 boost??Please someone, I need help. thank u in advance..hopefully. X

I don't understand why there is no response to my thread? Am I in wrong place or my question thought answered in others posts??

Your air flow is fine some fish will play in it. To help with ich slowly get your tank to 86f. Keep your water changes up but make sure your hitting the substrate and in ten days or so you'll see improvement

Thank u v much!! So no meds/salt etc. Just heat and v clean water? I can do that :)) after the 10 days have past and both fish seem happy again will tank be safe to add more fish? Thanks again for response. X

Once you see no white spots on your fish wait 7-10 days to make sure the ich is gone before slowly adding new fish

Ich spots are actually the wounds healing where the parasite has left the body. Rubbing is a general sign if its very consistent

Oh! Did not know that, thanks v much for your help...will keep close eye on them.

Just so you know ich is often found in the gills and there are no visable signs other than rubbing, flashing, and trouble breathing.

Thank u, I appreciate all info and help/advice offered...my girls not looking v happy in their tank today :-(( does anyone know how this parasite gets in there...same fish for 6 weeks?? Were they carrying this from pet store...long incubation period?? I haven't introduced anything new. X

Ahha!! Big white spot arrived on top of head of first fish affected.....assuming it's only a matter of time for other fish to get them too?!

I am regurgitating advice but I've heard it over and over: you have a chance to save them, slowly(over a 24 hour period only shift a couple degrees) take your temp up and keep it there for a good while after all symptoms are gone. I would go a whole month. The reason is to continue to kill the parasite that may be in younger life stages(eggs?) as those parasites develop the heat will kill them before they find your fish and reinfect them. In layman's terms, but I think that's the gist of it.

Your question: yes ich is basically always around and certainly in the specimens from a petstore. The fish can defend themselves until their general health declines due to any number of factors. The stress from living in poor water quality will usually make fish vulnerable to ich and many other problems they otherwise would fight off.

I suppose ich could be your problem- but do a quick search for hole in the head disease too just in case

Had a look online, will keep eye on it but seems v consistent with ICH symptoms, behaviour etc I wonder what triggered it, my water has been good so far but they were in my cycle...has to have an effect on their health at some point I'm sure :-( Shame it's when the water is now at it's best!!! Temp is up at 30 as recommended and aeration added..waiting game now?? With water changes and gravel vacs! Many thanks for help. X

Exactly right. The cycle is by definition drastic fluctuations in water chemistry and I would think that partially could be the cause they became ill. Again the stressors could be multiple and usually it is a combination of things that wear the fish down enough to make them susceptible to infections.

I hope they bounce back! Good luck. And goo job with your diagnosis..

Thanks, I hope they do!! It's ridiculous, I'm at work and still thinking about it...talk about a very consuming hobby! Very glad to have contact with more experienced people...have learnt quickly not to rely too much on pet store advice?! Fingers crossed my fish recover and I can get on and begin stocking my tank (slightly impatient, I know :p)

Ok scrap that...they don't seem to be flashing anymore, perked up behaviour wise, no clamped fin etc. enjoying their shelled peas the one that got the spot on his head, his wound is White and 'fluffy looking now...like he has lost a scale or 2 with a slightly red bit in the centre???? Could that be hole in the head as mentioned as a possibility earlier? Temp is still up for ICH...other fish seems fine again. Puzzling, can anyone shed any light please?

image-2436048627.jpg

image-2815631821.jpg

Sorry for iPhone pics and he wouldn't stay still!

Anyone with hole in the head experience? Or is fungus?! I have no clue what I'm dealing with now!!

Sorry the forum is pretty quiet today.

Poor little fella. I have no experience with H-I-H disease, just read about it while diagnosing other issues.

Tropical fish have pretty different needs than goldfish so I won't offer any advice. Do research and take action but only necessary medications as treating for the wrong ailment will only further stress your fish.

Isolate the fish into a quarantine tank(search or look for stickies about them) and sometimes the best thing to do is very little. Lots I fresh clean water and not much commotion otherwise.

Good luck!! Edit: also if Ich is off the table After you research then perhaps the water temp Gould go back to the normal Goldie range.

Back
Top Bottom