Ich + Cherry Barbs... Best low temp Treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday I had to swap out my leaking HOT Magnum for a new Eheim canister filter. Now, my fish have Ich, probably due to the Bio-Wheel leaving the environment and screwing up my biological filtration. The Cherry Barbs have a small reccomended heat range (74-79F), so I am not sure if they can handle 88F water needed to kill the Ich off using heat. What is my best plan of attack? Anyone ever had Cherry Barbs in 88F water?

I've seen cherry barb ranges up to 82f; which is not far off from the temps needed to kill ich. That being said, I don't have any and have never tried it with em. Then again, oto temp ranges are around the same as cherry barbs, and my otos went thru the high temp ich treatment (88f) for a week and a half with no problems.

I have six Cherry Barbs btw, I had to buy two more males because the one male that left was getting himself into trouble with the three females. The male would chase the females constantly until they nipped his fins. I need to update my sig...

Anyway, one fish has five Ich spots, another has just one Ich spot. In an effort to cut off the spread before it got any worse while I raise the temp 1F every 12 hours, I put in half the reccomended dose of Ick Clear. I turned off my Aquaclear 200 and currently have the tank running with just my Eheim (no carbon). I lost a Tetra by hesitating last time I had a sick fish, so hopefully adding in the Ick Clear early can hold off the Ich long enough for the water conditions to improve.

*fingers crossed*

//Update: I barely had any surface agitation without the Aquaclear running, so I pulled the carbon and turned it back on.

Back
Top Bottom