Ich Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The HTR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. Help would be very much appreciated.

I have a 20 gallon tank which contained at the start 1 small pleco, 1 small bala shark, two small albino tiger barbs, and a small tiger barb. All died within 2 weeks except the pleco from ich. I began treatment with Ick Clear but then had to go to a 7 day conference so they stood no chance.

I did a massive water change, vacuumed the gravel, and treated the water before replacing the four dead fish. This time the tank stood at two albino tiger barbs, a rainbow shark, a bala shark, and the orginal pleco.

I noticed that the rainbow shark begin flashing within an hour or so of being in the tank and the others followed suit in the coming days. I raised the temp on the tank to yesterday 86, treating for ich with the Tank Buddies products.

I returned from work yesterday to find my rainbow shark stuck to the filter intake pipe dead. I did a water change and kept treating, hoping the ick would go away with no visible signs.

Today, my two albino barbs were dead after work. My bala shark is still around but he seems to be weak and panting and goes to surface for air every 10 minutes or so. He's not showing any visible signs of ick except for what may be a small spot on end of the tail. The pleco seems to be unphased by all that has gone on.

Following the advice from another post, I lowered the water level to create a bigger splash from the filter to create more action on the water surface for oxygen purposes.

What course of action can I take from here?

Sorry to hear about the your loss of fish! It would help if we knew what your water parameters are...ammonia, nitrites, etc, and how long your tank has been set up.

I have nothing to test the water with at the moment but the tank has been set up for 6 weeks

Ok. So that would definitely be a place to start in order to diagnose what happened. I would recommend getting a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals makes a good freshwater master kit. Also, did you cycle your tank before adding fish?

What makes you think you have ich? Do you see signs of ich on the deceased fish?

I suspect your tank is not cycled, and high levels of ammonia and/or nitrIte are what's causing a bulk of your issues. I would recommend to get an API master FW test kit, and/or have the LFS test your water right away.

The first batch of fish that perish developed the often-referenced white salt-looking spots and all of the signs like flashing that I've been able to read from other posts.

I will definitely invest in that test kit. Petsmart told me to just let the tank run for 72 hours before adding fish, which I did.

Alright, so it does sound like Ich. I'd recommend the heat treatment, even if you're not currently showing any signs of ich, before adding any additional fish. This will help to guaruntee that the ich is dead without risking any other inhabitants.

The test kit is still a good idea, as I still don't think your tank is adequately cycled as well.

The tank is hovering at around 87 degrees with the thermometer maxed out..the bala shark looks a tiny bit less lethargic but still not as active as when he first arrived...he has finally developed a white spot or two on the fin and on top of the head but nothing extremely noticeable...The pleco seems perfectly fine.

I will certainly get the test kit...when i removed the dead fish earlier, I noticed a white to clear fuzz over the substrate which I suctioned out. Is that part of the ich or is it something else to be concerned with?

Petsmart told me to just let the tank run for 72 hours before adding fish, which I did.

Yes, they do that...but many many of us have listened to our LFS (local fish store) with bad or disastrous results! So start reading up on the nitrogen cycle... :)

Well, when I woke up this morning, the bala shark had moved on to the next life..but the Pleco is alive and kicking and the only original fish left. I'm not restocking until I figure out how to keep my tank from being a fish deathtrap. I've never had a problem keeping goldfish but this is my first tropical tank.

I suppose I'll start with the test kit, but in the meantime, how do I get the ich out of my tank for good with the pleco still there?

Keep the temp above 87-88 for no less than 2 weeks. If you have an airstone(s), get them in there.. warmer water carries less oxygen so you need to get more in there though you are prob ok w/ the one fish that is left. It's the 'green' way. Meds can help/work but they can also destroy your bacteria colony. I strongly suspect that in addition to the ich (read up on QT) your tank is not cycled either so you could be rolling from one deadly thing to another. If your fish dies consider going fallow for several weeks too. There are some articles around with tips

Tip #1: Change fish stores. That dope at Petsmart gives dopes a bad name.

I agree with Ahab. No more fish for now, raise temps, learn how to cycle your tank, and no more advice from Petsmart. Good Luck!!

i wish you also strength of character.

do not be afraid that your remaining fish will die, KEEP THAT TEMP at 86+ F ...
if you do not do that, they will die anyway

as previously said,
- buy those 4 kits, they are vital ... if cash suplies are low, buy them in this order: Ammonia (nh3), Nitrites (no2), PH, nitrates (no3)
- add aeration (air stone, or filter splash, in this order of importance)

do not buy any more fish until you are SURE your ich is done with, and even more important that your cycle is in place.

as a side advice, if the time allows you, do PWC's (partial water change)
remove 10-25% of the water, then add back the same amount, but if possible maintain temp at 86+ at all costs.

and again ... BE STRONG ... as you said yourself you do not want that tank to be a deathtrap.

Back
Top Bottom