Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2004, 01:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ich driving me crazy!!!!

Ok, so I got my dwarf puffers about two months ago, I put them in and noticed there was some ich, so i cranked the temps up and added salt, after a week and a half, everything looked fine so i lowered the temps. Then a week later, ich was back, this time i cranked temps up for two weeks and everything looked fine and i lowered the temps again. Now after another two weeks, ich is back AGAIN!!! How can i tell when it's gone so i can lower the temps? I am at my wits end!

Old 04-04-2004, 03:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Did you thoroughly vacuum cleaned your tank? Salt will not kill efficiently all ich, and especially not in the cyst period. Google on ich to understand how it works. You need to get rid of as much cysts as possible.

Old 04-04-2004, 03:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The high temps will work, but need to kept high for around 2 weeks or so AFTER the last spot. What temp did you keep the tank at, and did you double check it with a thermometer? And what level of salt? Salt WILL work, but it must be over 1.002 sg. I think you read my ich article, but in case you didn't, you'll find it in the articles section.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 03:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I bow to the slayer. At least, I know that I am correct to thoroughly clean the tank,
Old 04-04-2004, 03:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL

I think the reason salt isn't always efficient astro, is because folks don't add the correct amounts. A tablespoon a gallon just isn't enough and many folks don't actually check SG, so its guesswork for the most part. And guesswork doesn't always cut it.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 11:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I turned it up to 86 degrees. I guess my mistake was thinking that two weeks after the initial spot would be enough, I will leave the heat on for three weeks this time. Also, I QTed the fish that were showing signs of ich, and so far the others are ok... am i silly to hope that the other fish won't get it?
Old 04-05-2004, 02:27 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
am i silly to hope that the other fish won't get it?
There's a chance the other fish will be fine. What other fish are in the main tank? If it is just the puffers, you may want to treat the whole tank.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com