Ich first timer! help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozzypop

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have one celestial eye, one black moor, a pleco, and 4 African dwarf frogs. I noticed my two goldfish sitting at the bottom of the tank, freaked out, and stared at them for a while until I noticed a few white spots. Ah! Ich! I RAN to Walmart, got malachite green, salt, and a water heater. The heater I got goes to "the optimal temperature" which is about 78 degrees Fahrenheit which I assume is warm enough to speed up the parasites life span? and I added the salt and the malachite green. then the next day did a 20% water change and re-added the chemical and the salt. BUT my black moor just sits at the bottom of the tank and it is stressing me out so much!!! Am I being too harsh? what should I do? Am I doing this right? lol plz help

Update: I am sure it is ich because the spots have fallen off my celestial eye. My black moor and pleco still have a couple. I have done daily 20% water changes and reduced the amount of salt and malachite green to half because my frogs seemed to hate it, but they seem fine with half. My fish are swimming a little more, but still look pretty tattered. I'm hoping if I keep up with what I'm doing they'll get better soon.

That was an interesting read on Ich.
I recently had an outbreak & treated aggressively with salt & raised temp and it knocked it out. But according to the studies referenced in the read- it's just the salt that does the trick- no heat?

yeah, I hope so because my black moor just died from columnaris! which apparently thrives on heat so I'm thinking about decreasing the temperature and just doing the salt bath/malachite green treatment. It is so hard to tell what to do. How long did it take for the ich in your tank to go away?

I left the heat + salt in there for about 9 days. After 9 days I was confident it was gone- so lowered the temp back to normal and did a few water changes over the next couple of days to remove the salt. Everything has been fine since.

Back
Top Bottom