Ich help..Very Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

breezer40

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

A few weeks ago I brought 3 clown loaches. unfortunately I did not at the time have a Quarantine tank (now have one but it's still cycling) so they were introduced to my main tank..big mistake.

A few days later I noticed the classic signs of whitespot so I used interpet 6 whitespot treatment and gradually increased the temperature to 86.

despite my best efforts the clowns all died within days :(

My problem now is the platy who is acting very strange. I haven't seen any spots on him but he is fleshing so I am continuing with the treatment. He is eating as normal but is at the either sitting at the bottom or hanging at the top very still. Sometimes It looks like he has died but when I go near him he dart off at the speed of light.

Does anyone know what might be the problem?..Could it be the meds, Temp or whitespot?

Quite likely, especially since he is flashing, it is ich. However, its also possible the clowns brought in another disease as well; what that would be there is no way to know. It also could be a water parameter issue; whats the ammonia, nitrite and nitrates?

Hi Allivymar

The ammonia and nitrite are both 0..Don't know about the nitrates. The tank is well established and never had any problems prior to the clowns.

I'd get the platy out of there and isolated. I know you're cycling your QT tank, but to be honest, you don't need to. For future reference, you can keep an extra filter sponge in the main tank filter, and use that in the QT as needed. And keep in mind, most meds will kill the nitrifying bacteria anyway; its a lot of work cycling a tank for nothing! I'd do a major water change on the QT and get the lil bugger in there.

I'd continue to treat for ich, but like I said, I suspect other issues, which is why I'd isolate him. Its a prob if there is something else since your in the UK; antibiotics aren't sold over the counter like they are here for fish. You may need to call a vet and see if they'll give you a prescription for erythromycin or tetracycline just in case. It may not be necessary tho; just want you to be prepared.

Great minds think alike! I have just returned from putting the platy (Blacky) into the QT tank. With every new tank I always use a filter sponge from one of my old tanks and thats been in for nearly a week now.

I decided to try adding salt to the QT tank (he is so uncomfortable I figured it couldn't hurt)..It has performed magic!

He is now swimming along quite normally (looks 100% better) but i'm going to keep my eye on him anyway.

Thanks for all the advice Allivymar and fingers crossed this treatment works!

Back
Top Bottom