ICH, I HOPE NOT! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onah

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok, i recently added some tetras i got from petsmart a couple of days ago. i have been doing 30-40% water changes every other day to try fixing the amonia spike i had. the fish seem fine, but i noticed that the larger of the 2 tetras is getting a little white spot on the fin, it wasnt there wheni bought him , but it started a couple of dayz ago. is htis ich? also i noticed that my largergourami has a red dot near its back fin, that wasnt there before either, but these dots look nothign alike, the BG looks like its has a wound in its a bit red it seems. well here are some bad pics, can anyone tell me what i should do, i was thinking of getting a small tank, and putting them aside for right now, but how small is 2 small? can i put them in a fish bowl for now?is that a worthy hospitable area? i read some hwre about salt baths? whats this? well get back to me, i dont know what to do and i am scared i am letting all my other fish come in contact with the BG and tetra.
u can hardly see it but its on the tail fin.
img_701435_0_b7f515fccad5374fe431f0e20cca9933.gif

BG
img_701435_1_dfd06ebbccad920d7a3735973c438a82.gif

Ick would look like small salt grains on the fishes body. If it's bigger than a salt grain, then it may be a fungus or something else if it's just a single spec. Check him over real good. If you see more white specs, it's ick.

The red spot may be a parasite or an injury. If it's small, more than likely a parasite.

If you don't have a QT tank, get a large plastic container, and run an air bubbler in it, and change the water daily, since it won't be filtered. I'd do 50% water changes daily on it til you figure out what to do. Others in here should give more advice, as I've never done a salt bath myself.

you can also try raising the temp to around 82f to speed up the life cycle of ich. if you have it, you will know fairly quick.

fixing the amonia spike i had.

Why did you have a spike? The root of many fish problems can be found in your test kit.

I would hold off on the salt bath idea and try to find a more specific cause. If it is ich, heat is sufficient but you seem to have more issues.

#1, how long has your tank been running?

#2 Test all your basic parameters: amonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH Temp?

added some tetras i got from petsmart a couple of days ago

How did you acclimate the new fish? QT. is essential and this may be a great example for the future.

i am reffering to the first spike i had well cycling the tank, the tank has been on for about 2-3 wks. i am using a ap test kit, but when it had spiked the people at petco were testing the water.
i have been doing pwcs since the second day with fish, i have been recording all the tests , i do one before every change, and i tested my tap water to compare. the spot seemed to get progressivly smaller today, the gouramis is still the same though.
i acclimated them the way i did all the others, let the bag sit 15mins, open and add a bit from the tank evry 5 for 15 after that, then addd them with a net, and dispose of the water. so i quaritine both? and i dont have a pump right now can i still do it?

If you decide it is ich, I believe the heat has to be at or just over 86 degrees. I've had to treat ich a couple of times and the heat method has worked for me every time.

ok....

wel i have been doing a bunch of reading the past couple of dayz and realize that they arent showing the #2 symptom, no scratching, or flashing i think its called? they seem to be getting more spots but there is also stuff floating in the tank nothing moving though, i am still not a 100% though so if i notice one of them start then i am going to begin treatment, i currently do not run a heater, or own one for that matter so i am going to aquire that this weekedn hopefully. Thanx again guys...and girls....:)

Back
Top Bottom