Ich!!! (I Think) First time with unhealthy fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MckeelRussell

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first post, but be as harsh as you feel you need too.

ICH!

55 Gallon Freshwater Tank
200 watt heater Aqueon
60g-rated Air-pump (6 in. airstone- Aqueon
2 filter 1 Aqueon 50/ 1 Aqueon 30
Malaysian Driftwood

(Time in parentheses is how long I've owned them)

Fish:
1 Albino Oscar-3 1/2in.(1 Month)
1 Oscar-3 in. (2 Weeks)
2 Blood Parrots-4 in.(purchased before I knew there background 3 years ago)
3 Spotted Raphael Catfish-3 in. (1 1/2 Weeks)
1 Rubber-lip Pleco-3 in. (2 weeks)
1 Marble Sailfin Pleco-5 in. (1 1/2 weeks)

Just started new 55 gallon Aquarium 3 weeks ago. Before that I had a 25 gallon tank.

Hi I have a 55 Gallon tank and after two days of seeing my Oscar's breathe heavily and stay still in the bottom of my tank, I decided to take a water sample into my local Aquatic specialty petstore "the Reef" which is VERY well renound in the Indianapolis area and told them my fish symptoms and had them test my water before and after a 50% water change I had done 1 hour prior and found I had 80 parts Nitrite and Nitrate which is a result of the HORRIBLE tap water in the Indianapolis area I use "Prime" and "Stability" so I decided to do another 20% water change this time using Reverse Osmosis water, raised the temperature from 78 degrees to 82 degrees, and purchased then used Api Aquarium Salt. Last night 8 hours after doing this my fish were breathing better and swimming around like normal, but it was then that I noticed small white spots on both my albino Oscar and my regular Oscar. "the reef" had already closed at this time so I waited anxiously until this morning and rushed i the store as soon as they opened and they recommended an all natural herbal treatment called " Microbe-Lift Herbtana 100% Natural Expellant for Parasitic Diseases." I left my water jug at my sisters house so i was not able to do another 20% water change today with the RO water, but I get it back tomorrow.

Any tips or extra advice? My aquarium is my most important posession tied with my puppy and the well-being of my fish are of utmost importance.

And before you tell me I know my fish will get very big and i will upgrade tank size when the outgrow the current one.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank You.

Also this is my first day on this site.

Back
Top Bottom