Ich - I would love some tips and opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smidget121

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
AFFECTED FISH
2 Dalmatian Mollies, 4 Neon Tetras, 2 Long Finned Tetras, and 1 Marigold Variatus Platy

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM?
They all have white spots on their body and fins. The Marigold was sitting on the bottom of the tank but is now swimming around fine.

TANK PARAMETERS

I have not done a water test since the sudden spot breakout yesterday, sorry for how much this limits helpful answers.

TANK SIZE
14 Gallons - I set up the tank (bought it brand new from the store) about 2 weeks ago and I came home to 9 fish in the tank. The only problem I see with this is the fact that 9 fish were put in the tank at once when you really should only put in 4 at a time, the lower the number the better. The fish have been in the tank for 3 days.

FILTRATION

Aqueon Quiet Flow Power Filtration
20 gallon filter in my 14 gallon tank
125 GPH

TANK MAINTENANCE
I have not changed the water or vacuumed the gravel yet because my tank is new and this is the first time fish are in it.

FISHIES IN THE TANK
I've had them in the tank for only a few days. They sat in their separate bags for just under a half hour. They were all placed in the tank at the same time (Covered this earlier in the thread)

TANK...STUFF

Everything is new, prior to the fish being in the tank the water test was normal. Gravel, Plants, and rocks were in the running tank for the 2 weeks prior to the fish arriving.

FISHY DIET
I feed my fish TetraMin - Tropical Flakes. Which is different from the pet store that I bought them from, I know this because I worked in pet care for the store for a bit.

I have raised the temperature of my tank, and will continue to do so until it's about 80...maybe more depending on what else I learn in research.

I know that chemicals in Ich treatment are not necessarily good for the fish but I picked up the Ick Clear Fizz Tabs by Jungle. It's 1 tab for 10 gallons and is to be repeated until treatment is complete while replacing 25% water each day prior to treatment. I have a 14 gallon tank and I am only using 1 tab, rather use too little instead of too much. I did the first treatment this morning.

If there is a safer more natural way I would love to hear it, I would like to avoid aquarium salt even though it may help some, it's not so good for the others.

Bahumbug.

Anything would be greatly appreciated, help me fix my tank PLEASE!

Thank you!!!

Last edited:
I would raise the temp atleast to 86 if your fish can handle it. I am battling ich right now aswell. I have 3 plecos, 2 loaches, 12 guppies, 10 shrimp, 30+ fry, and plants in a 55g. We have the temp around 88, up to about 40 tsp salt now (adding salt very gradually), and daily water changes. It's been maybe 2 weeks now and the ich is finally disappearing. I hope it will all be gone within the next week.

We have also been using Kordon's Ich Attack. If you do end up using salt just get Canning Salt from the grocery store, it's much cheaper.

Thanks a ton for your advise... I haven't had fish since I was a little kid. I know the bit I know from working at a pet store in pet care.

I can't remember what fish cant handle salt that well, though. I worry about the tetras... Do you know if they have a salt tollerence?

Hi! And welcome to AA!
You have a few issues with your tank. It is also cycling and your fish will be swimming in high ammonia. You've got a bit of reading ahead of you.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

BEGINNERS GUIDE
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html
Please read these.
You need to start a vigorous water change schedule ASAP. This will not effect the cycle but will help keep your fish safe.

Ich can be cured with just heat.
Turn the temperature up to 86-88F
Increase aeration
Vacuum regularly
Keep the temp up do at least a week after the last spot is seen
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Not really sure, I know my Loaches are not supposed to be able to tolerate much salt and meds, but they have handled it just fine. I just made sure to increase the amount of salt gradually. After almost 3 weeks we are only up to 40 tsp salt in my 55g. You should be able to Google around for your fishes individual tolerances.

Thank you for all of your help!
Elise - Those articles look like they will be very useful! I have sent you a friend request in case I might have some more questions? Anywho, thanks a ton. =]

Back
Top Bottom