Ich killed all...what now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JBsR1Chick

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had a 40 gallon tank with several fish: guarami, 4 tinfoil barbs, pleco, 2 snails, 2 bala sharks. All of the fish were rather small and we were waiting for them to grow a bit before we put them in a bigger tank. Then my boyfriend added 2 red swordtails (I think that's what they are) and everyone died shortly after that. The male swordtail survived for a bit then died. The swordtail had vicious white spots on him as did some others. We tried treatment but it was too late. The pleco and 2 snails were pulled into a different tank and they SEEM perfectly fine.

Now that the 40 gallon has no fish in it I was planning on cleaning it out and putting my 5 inch Jack Dempsey in with the pleco and snails.

What is the best way to clean this tank to ensure my beloved Jack will not catch the parasite and die too?

I am prepared to boil or do whatever. As of right now my best guess is to pull everything and boil it as much as I can. But if raising the temp and adding salt will work then I can do that. There is no hurry to move my Jack so anything can work.

Thank you!

Sorry to hear about your losses ... IDK what I'd do if it were me:nono:. If it's ick ... take some comfort in that the parasite cannot live long without a host. However, you can boil any gravel / sand / substrate / DW ... even some rocks like granite and slate.

Any rocks with pores or large fractures or you don't want to boil rocks scrub with a bleach solution. Bleach is mostly chlorine and de-chlorinator would later neutralize it. NO SOAP! You can also use a bleach solution for the glass, Ornaments / Decor thoroughly rinse with de-chlorinator and water afterwards.

Good luck!

I agree with jcolon! That's what I'd do. And if you don't want to boil rocks you can pour boiling water on top of them instead, and wait in between. Sometimes I fear my slate would pop in boiling water, so I pour the water and it makes me feel safer ;)

Thank you so much! After reading your advice I think I have devised a plan I feel good with!

Since I just have gravel, a plastic(ish) stump, and some plants I'm going to boil those and maybe the biomater in my filter (is that okay?) and then I'll clean the glass while everything is out with a bleach solution and use de-chlorinater and water to rise well. Once I do that I'll add everything in and set it up to run for a couple days and have the water tested since I do not have a kit to test it, that way I'll know if all of the bleach is out.

Should I do something special to clean my filter? Should I boil or not boil my biomater?

Thank you so much for your help!

I also plan on adding some salt to make the tank brackish because I read that cichlids like brackish water. Wont the salt help stave off some parasites?

Sounds good ... anything plastic, including the filter housing you can just rinse with bleach as discussed ... substrate I'd boil.

Any bio-filter media could just be rinsed off as discussed since any BB would probably starve to death with the lack of stock for ammo.

Back
Top Bottom