Ich killed thrme all...what now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azure Lord

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well ich has killed all my fish. I didnt have access to an adjustable heater and meds didnt work(Marineland Ick Remedy). 6 tetras and a docile male betta.

Id say it was a combination of sudden overcrowding, which caused a nitrite spike for three days, the nipping eachother to establish dominance and pecking order, the fact that im pretty sure one of the two tetras i got from my crappy lfs(the rest were from petsmart) had a small white spot that i didnt notice till a couple days later and didnt think much of it, and over feeding.

My question is....before i restock, is there any extremely special concerns i need to have or take care of. I have ordered an adjustable heater and will run it high for a week before restocking?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If all your fish have died, then just leave the tank be for a week or two and the parasites will have died out. They require a host to complete and perpetuate their life cycle. Running the heater will speed up the process.

Way back when, when I used to medicate, I found some products worked better than others. Quick cure never let me down.

+1 to letting it run without fish for a week and bumping up the temp- now without fish you don't have to worry about a huge temp spike or anything

After a week I would test the water to see what the parameters are at and then do a water change regardless just to get some fresh new water in there. And then if needed based on the test do another water change

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well it's not necessarily empty. I will gradually raise the temp since i still have shrimp. But yes im going to do a fairly large pwc and vacuum the gravel before putting fish in. And ill be making sure my bio filter can handle it! I just was wanting to make sure i didnt need to worry about some horrible consequences.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nope- a while with high temps should make the ich go through it's life cycle and be gone :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom