Ich Medication for Loaches...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No not at all. Heat method is the only safe method with loaches. Salt and meds can be very dangerous to them. They are extremely intolerant to them. Turn heat up to 87 F and add extra aeration, leave heat up for 2 weeks AFTER last spot of ich is gone.

I turned the heat up to 87, and I have aeration, but I lost two healthy Bronze Cories that I have had for 4 years. I don't see spots on any of the fish yet, but some of them are scratching themselves on the gravel/rocks. I would like to get rid of this mess before it gets too much further along!

You might even want to go a degree or two higher, as thermometers are not always completely accurate. If you are even a tad below 87 without realizing it, you risk speeding up the life cycle of the parasite instead of killing it. I recently treated for ich and kept the temps at 89 with no ill effects.

Along with heat, I have read (and done by experience) that large water changes help the situation. Keep the water warm, but do 50-70% WC daily or every other day. This helps to decrease the overall number of ich protozoan in the water.

I managed to lose only 1 out of a batch of about 12 clown loaches at work, using this method - and he looked absolutely horrible.

Back
Top Bottom