ICH?! Or...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ocminpin said:
Is this ICH?? It's more of a scaly patch and not anywhere else on body...

Tank she's in is recovering from Camallanus Worms.. (2 out of 6 visibly affected)

Everyones quieter cause of Fenbendazole food dosing and Parasite Guard for tank..

HELP PLEASE!! :) thank you

Nah ich is visable white spots. Not in the skin but looks like a white dot ON the skin. As far as i can tell, these are dark patches in the skin? If so, your good

This is a scaly sluffed off look... Slightly lighter than her coloring.. Started out smaller and faint now, more prominent..

I don't think it's Ich either. Did she have this before you started treating for the worms? Maybe a reaction to the meds? Do the scales look like they are sticking up (pine-coning)?

Yes was faint before worm issues/ dosing... Has spread twice as much and darker. No not pineconing... Looks more like someone took sandpaper to her and it's super dry skin

ocminpin said:
Yes was faint before worm issues/ dosing... Has spread twice as much and darker. No not pineconing... Looks more like someone took sandpaper to her and it's super dry skin

Costia necatrix - a protozoan parasite

ocminpin said:
Hmm... How do I get rid of this?

If you think it might be that (google to make sure) then at the top of the scale you have 'waterlife' Protozin. But I'm pretty sure this contains copper so you shouldn't use it with inverterbrates eg snails. Then working down you could use malachite green or if you only have mollies, chances are that raising your specific gravity to probably about 1.010-1.015 would probably kill it as well, though I don't know this for sure.

I'll have to look it up... I have 5 mollies and a platy in the tank... This is the only one with the visible symptom

Okay looked it up and that doesn't seem right... She's very active and even gave birth 3 wks ago when it was still faint...
Eats vigorously and swims all over...
No signs of flashing, clamped fins, or laying on substrate as the disease suggests...

ocminpin said:
Okay looked it up and that doesn't seem right... She's very active and even gave birth 3 wks ago when it was still faint...
Eats vigorously and swims all over...
No signs of flashing, clamped fins, or laying on substrate as the disease suggests...

It could be in the early stages. Potentially velvet (oodinium)

ocminpin said:
Doesn't velvet attack the gills and fins mostly? Hmmm... I wish this were easy. :)
I appreciate your suggestions.

Velvet can also attack the gills and fins yes. If you have a quarantine tank I would remove him and observe him. If it gets any worse i would treat. Cupramine at .25mg/l (use a copper test kit) or Protozin. It sounds like a protozoan either way.

My entire tank is being treated for Camallanus Worms... (she has no visible yet) they're eating fenbendazole treated food and I have treated tank water with
Parasite Guard... Don't have quarantine tank...

ocminpin said:
My entire tank is being treated for Camallanus Worms... (she has no visible yet) they're eating fenbendazole treated food and I have treated tank water with

Ok. So both of those, to my knowledge are strictly anti-worming medications (obviously) and probably won't kill a flagellate Protozoa. You may need to try something else. A 14 day copper (cupramine) treatment may be beneficial anyway given that, if it is one of these it can potentially spread.

ocminpin said:

Please remember that I can only guess at this point.

Since these fish have come from petsmart... Would it mean ALL their fish are infected? They described their tanks as one big tank with separators ..

ocminpin said:
Since these fish have come from petsmart... Would it mean ALL their fish are infected? They described their tanks as one big tank with separators ..

I can't speak for everyone. But generally stores work on an integrated sump system. Mine had three systems split into 28 tanks each. So potentially anything within that system could spread, yes. However, I am sure that Petsmart UV sterilize, as well as have the ability to shut tanks off system, and most importantly are probably very watchful and vigilant (hopefully) with the health of their fish. So I wouldn't worry too much.

Oh okay... Interesting :)
I'm new to all of this so it's fascinating.. I love learning all about this stuff.. Sooo excited about my 20g L... Want them to be done medicating and healthy before they're moved..

Back
Top Bottom