Ich outbreak-please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bkimbark1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, recently 1 of my 2 balloon mollies died which stressed out the other one. He hid for about 2 days and now I noticed he has ich. I am trying to treat it with heat and salt so I'm dosing with 1tbsp of salt per 5 gallons and raising the temperature.
Problem is my heater won't get anywhere above 82 degrees right now. Will this be enough to kill the ich or at least manage it? Please help :(

Also I have an apple snail. I know they don't prefer to live in any salt but I've read that they can tolerate salt at the amount I am dosing. Can anyone confirm this or has anyone done this before? I plan on doing water changes after the ich is gone to eliminate any traces of salt. Thank you.

Ich can be eliminated at 86 degrees, so you might want to get another heater or use one from another tank. If your heater worked, I would say to skip the salt. But now that your heater is not heating enough, I'm not sure if you should use salt. I hope someone more experienced can help you.... when they see this thread!

Back
Top Bottom