Ich Pealing Off! Is that normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amitnarain

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello.

as some of u know my pacu has had ich for 3-4 days now. i first treated with bactericide but shortly started salt treatment. (trying to save my beneficial bacteria). however, now i see that the thing on my pacu is peeling off. i mean the whithe spots. is that normal that ich peels off?

also i wanted to know whether salt will affect my beneficial bacteria.

That almost sounds like your ich isn't ich!

Ich spots are fairly small and really shouldn't "peal" off....How large are the spots?

Is there any way for you to post a pic? I can't be positive but that doesn't sound like ich at all. We wouldn't to treat a fish for the wrong problem would we?

:wink:

If it is ich and you were using a bacteria killing product then you were already treating for the wrong problem. Ich is a parasite and I didn't think there were any medicines used for bacteria that were also completely effective against ich. Is it actually the white spots peeling off or the scales?
I just looked up your other post on salt is this the same pacu in the pics? It looks like ich but I can't tell 100% from the photos. Are they like little salt or sand grains sprinkled over the fish or fuzzy? For treating ich Rid Ich+ is my treatment of choice. I've even used it half dosed with loaches and otos without losing a single fish. Also you can't kill ich while it is on the fish you can only kill it while in the free swimming stage so depending on your tank temperature it could take weeks to actually kill it all.

That's what I was wondering if it was ich or actually velvet. It looks like velvet except I've always been told velvet is yellow or brown colored not white. If you do a search every description will say it's not white. Still it does not look like a bacterial infection. It definitely looks parasitic to me. Possibly a bad case of ich with a secondary fungal infection. I would treat with a product containing malachite green or copper sulfate. My choice would still be malachite green like rid ich+ because it will treat both ich and velvet. I would also turn the lights out as much as possible because velvet needs to use light to complete it's life cycle. Maybe also add some melafix to help with the damaged scales and possible fungus. I'd be hesitant to mix anything stronger along with the ich medicine.

Back
Top Bottom