Ich problem and filter issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paviduz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, confirmed an outbreak of Ich in my tank about 20 minutes ago (affecting several fish). I was about to run and get a proper treatment, when I realized I have a little problem. Most chemical medicines require the removal of any activated carbon from the filter system for obvious reasons. The problem arises in the fact that my power filter uses what I would decribe as a pad of filter floss connected to a plastic framework and a 'cage' which contains activated carbon. Since all the filtration is thus accomplished by a single removable module, it would be quite difficult to remove the carbon without also removing the main filter pad.

That being the case, what is my best option?? Am I better off removing the filter pad and simply using the filter to circulate water, or might I be able to chance leaving the carbon in? I suppose picking up a new filter pad and simply 'reengineering' my current one to seperate it from its carbon is an option, but I would consider it a last resort. Tank specs to follow.

10g, 100gph Aqua-tech 5-15 HOB
3 neon tetra (all infected)
3 zebra danio (no visible infection)
2 corydoras matae (1 possible infection... you try getting them to stay still so you can check)
1 male Betta (heavily infected, probable source)

Temp 85F (lack of air conditioning)
PH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

Betta and corys were added 5 days ago with 2 clumps of anarcharis, rest of tank had been established over previous two weeks.

Let me know of any other information which might be helpful, and thank you in advance for your help and advice.

Definitely don't remove the filter. You CAN remove the carbon however:

Get a sharp knife/pair of scissors/utility knife and cut a slit out of one side of the filter. The you can remove the carbon but still use the filter (a slit won't really mess with the filteration).

*grins* and I'll pass on trying to get the corys to sit still.

Most of those framework filters just clip down to hold the bag.

See if you can unclip the bag to remove it, dump the carbon, put the bag back on.

One of the medications I was using said if the carbon was older than 5 days old, you could leave it in. This would support what I've heard from others that carbon is only effective for about a week.

Depending on the age of the cartridge, you could probably get away with leaving it in.

Thanks for all the responses. Checked out the cartridge and it is simply glued together, no way of getting it apart to remove the carbon. Thus the plastic grate holding the carbon in got sliced and diced and the carbon removed in a very slow and totally unrecommended procedure. Trust me, wet carbon and gunky filter pad squeezings make for a job which is NFFAA. (No ****ing Fun At All). At any rate, the filter is now sans carbon, and the tank is thuroughly medicated. Here's to hoping fighting that annoyingly designed carbon holding mechanism turns out to be worth it. Thanks again for the advice, it's much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom