Ich question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mofo2713

Aquarium Advice Freak
My ich is getting a little better in the tank. When I do my 20% daily water change, I add enough aqaurium salt just for the water I am replacing. Do I need to be adding additional salt for the rest of the tank every so often? I am keeping my tank at 82 F while doing this treatment. Any other help on getting rid of this would be help a lot...

Have you read the ich article here on the site: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=32

When doing your water change, add enough salt for the replacement water, as you are doing. Salt does not leave the aquarium through evaporation, so when you are done with the treatment, the regular water changes will get your salt level back to where you usually keep it. A hydrometer will help with measuring the specific gravity, so you can keep it at the same level through the treatment.

Also, a temperature at 87 or 88 degrees, if your fish can tolerate it, will kill the parasite more quickly. If your current heater can't reach that temperature, then you could add a second one for the length of the treatment.

I think water changes and salt should be enough. But if you can get the temperature up, do that also (increase it slowly, about 1 degree every 12 hours). Ich appears not to survive temps above 86 degrees. The salt will dehydrate and kill the ich. A lot of members here have had success with the heat and salt treatment.

I have also read about using the heat treatment with a half dose of ich medicine. In your case, I would be afraid that the CAE will be sensitive to the medicines. Ich medicines are some of the most harsh meds out there. So I would just stick with the salt treatment and water changes, and remember to increase the temperature if you can.

Back
Top Bottom