Ich questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nwfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read the article and I think I have a Tetra that has Ich. I raised my tank temp to 86 degrees and added a little aquarium salt. I also am running my UV sterilizer and air pumps 24 hrs a day until I turn down the temperature.

However I have a question....
Fish are cold blooded and live at their surrounding temperature.
Ich can not live above 86 degrees.
Ich is also only vulnerable when it is in its free swimming stage.
However if the Ich is in the fish and the fish is above 86 degrees then shouldn't the Ich be killed even if it's in the hoste due to the temperature? Why being inside the hoste protect it from the warm temperature?

Also does anyone know what warm temperatures and a little salt do to freshwater shrimp? I have about 4 with 2 over an inch long and I don't really want to lose them.

The cycle is they burrow into the fish's skin and feed off their body fluid. When they are finished, they drop off and form cysts. These cysts then hatch and release tomites (lots of them, I have read up to 200 or even 1000), they swimn around looking for another host and the same thing happens over and over. The temp will kill the free swimming ones and possibly the ones currently feeding but not the ones in the cysts.
Make sure you slowly raise the temp as to not shock your fish.
I am not sure how the salt will effect your inverts.

Back
Top Bottom