ich recontamination ...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babybobscuba

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently noticed ick in my tank of barbs, a loach, and an african dwarf frog. After reading up on treatments, I took the ADF out and put him in a separate little tank with about half new water AND the rest with the water from the ick contaminated tank. I began treatment of the original tank (now with just the fish) with Quick Cure. Hopefully that'll work in the next few days.
I was wondering if I add the ADF back in with the fish after the ick has been treated, will that result in recontamination of the fish tank??

You might want to Google ich and the frog, to see if they can even be carriers of the parasite.
Make sure you put the carbon back in the filter and run it before you put the frog back in the tank after the QuICK Cure.

Thanks for the input. I've already looked up if they're carriers of ick or not, which they aren't but...I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and what has happened upon reintroduction of the frog back into the tank. (Yes, after the QuICK Cure has been filtered out :cool: ). As a biologist I know that different stages of the parasite are able to persist without a host for some time. I'm mostly worried about the contaminated water the frog is IN not the actual frog itself. But since I can't treat the water the frog inhabits now..... you can see where that leads me to my question.

Ah yes, I understand now. Well, do you know if the ich can even attach itself onto the frog? If not, then I would say as soon as the QuICK Cure is out, you can safely put him back in.
If the ich can't live on the frog, then I would think the ich would die in the QT tank with him.
I know when we recommend the heat treatment for ich, we tell them to leave the heat up for 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom