Ich showed up the day before vacation!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I picked up some Kordon Ich Attck today just for the heck of it. It claims to be herbal and won't affect plants, inverts, etc. It also claims to not affect O2 levels. Would it hurt to try that in conjunction with the 86 temp? Or should I just be patient with the high temp only?

Ich takes time and patience to kill, but if you must medicate, remove the carbon, follow medication instructions exactly, aerate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys, I posted a threat on this a few hours ago but no one responded so I'll try here as well as I really need some help! I believe one of my newly purchased fish have introduced velvet disease to my tank?, any ideas on how to treat it? I wouldn't normally hijack a thread like this but I really need some guidance, thanks!

Hi guys, I posted a threat on this a few hours ago but no one responded so I'll try here as well as I really need some help! I believe one of my newly purchased fish have introduced velvet disease to my tank?, any ideas on how to treat it? I wouldn't normally hijack a thread like this but I really need some guidance, thanks!
Oodinium causes the disease called velvet, and gets it's name to the patchy appearance of heavily infested fish. the tiny parasites live on the skin and gills of the host, where heavy infestations cause rapid gill movements and frantic rubbing on rocks and gravel. in freshwater most Malachite Green based white-spot remedies should be effective. It must be noted that copper and invertebrates do not mix, and hence the importance of "quarantine". here is a good thread on velvet.

How To Treat Fish With Velvet

Thanks for the help, very useful. I have no inverts in my tank just Platies and minnows and as I am unsure on who may already be infected I have gradually added aquarium salt to the water up to the recommended amount and have now got the tank in almost total darkness. I shall try and get some medicine tomorrow morning. Is it ok to then treat the whole tank, and will the pet store refund me if any of my fish pass away? as I clearly got the parra sir from them. Thanks

Velvet is highly contagious. Treat the whole tank. In addition, i do not intend to be mean, but please invest in a quarantine tank.

Ok thanks, no offence taken, I will try to get one ASAP it's just I am a student with almost no source of income so getting a new tank is a big deal!

I picked up some Kordon Ich Attck today just for the heck of it. It claims to be herbal and won't affect plants, inverts, etc. It also claims to not affect O2 levels. Would it hurt to try that in conjunction with the 86 temp? Or should I just be patient with the high temp only?

Last year I had ich in my quarantine tank with some new rummy nose tetras. I used Kordon Ich Attack along with aeration and 86 F temp. I was able to cure the ich. I used the heat and ich attack for two weeks and kept the fish in quarantine for a month after the last spot was gone.

I've read a lot of ich articles, but I'm particularly fond of this one:

Ich | The Skeptical Aquarist

Since I'm only using heat to treat the Ich for now, would it still be a bad idea to try and add new fish until it's gone? I'm sure it is. I just really hate this and don't want to deal with it again after I finish stocking my tank. If I can slowly acclimate them to the heat, it seems like it would keep any new parasites from multiplying.

Do not add new fish until the ich is totally gone. Personally I would give it a month. To me healthy, happy fish are worth the wait. Also, it will give your current fish a chance to recover their strength before they get new tank mates.

Hey i just wanted to say that at the moment you are doing everything really well! But i have a planted tank and i had fish that got ich so i raised temp to 86 and added salt. It was literally gone in about 8 days of using salt and heat! Whilst not damaging my plants at all! Well one of my amazon swords leafs went brown but that was it! :) that was the first and last time i ever had ich so far ;)

I highly recommend doing this unless you have very sensitive live plants ;)

Best of luck!

Update: I got another little suction cup thermometer today to get a second point of reference and the two are showing a difference of 4 degrees F! :facepalm:

This new one shows the temp as much lower. I wondered if this was the case since after almost a week of what I thought was 86 F, I'm still seeing some lingering white spots. I guess I'll split the difference and try turning it up a couple more degrees?

Four degrees? Wow, that is a pretty big difference. Yeah, split the difference.

Yeah, I have two digital and two alcohol suction cup thermometers. The two digital are within .5 F. The one suction cup, reads the same as the digitals. The second suction cup (same brand, Marina) reads 4 degrees lower. Sad that even brand name thermometers can be so inaccurate since temp is so important to our fishkeeping. I'd check both thermometers against a third one at this point. When I did my ich heat treatment I used the digital and used the accurate suction cup as a cross check.

Yeah, I have two digital and two alcohol suction cup thermometers. The two digital are within .5 F. The one suction cup, reads the same as the digitals. The second suction cup (same brand, Marina) reads 4 degrees lower. Sad that even brand name thermometers can be so inaccurate since temp is so important to our fishkeeping. I'd check both thermometers against a third one at this point. When I did my ich heat treatment I used the digital and used the accurate suction cup as a cross check.

Man... I was really hoping a digital one would not be necessary. Does it always have to be in the tank? Or are they quick enough that you can just dip in the sensor occasionally and take a quick reading?

Back
Top Bottom