Ich that never detaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rnbwfimmy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been treating this little dude for two weeks now with the temp at around 85 and kordons rid ich. None of the other fish have been infected and he still has the same exact spots he did at the start. It's like their life cycle isn't speeding up and they're not dropping off. Seeing this, I've isolated him to a sterile quarantine tank and finished treatment on the main tank. But is this really ich, if the spots arent going anywhere? Some are embedded into his dorsal and some have a more raised appearance, but mostly it looks like ich. I think this is ich that survived an attack a couple of weeks ago which i treated with salt and heat and eventually super ich cure. It went away but took my farlowella with it just after there were no more spots. This is the best pic I have, is this really ich?

Attachments

• image-1177258720.jpg
    image-1177258720.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 112
You can see the raised spots on his dorsal and anal fin here

Attachments

• image-92936262.jpg
    image-92936262.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3974924584.jpg
    image-3974924584.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 90
  • image-2608175620.jpg
    image-2608175620.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 93
  • image-856374177.jpg
    image-856374177.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 89
  • image-1724202327.jpg
    image-1724202327.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 78
Honestly, in these pics, it looks too big to be ich. From the distance the pics are, you would have a hard time seeing ich spots (if at all). What meds has this particular fish been treated with thus far (please be specific)?

During the first bout heat and salt, then i tried super ich cure. A couple of weeks later it came back on this gourami, although you're right it does seem larger, and I've been treating him with heat and kordon rid ich for nearly two weeks. He's isolated to a quarantine tank now and no other fish have shown symptoms

It's extremely localized, the same exact spots he started with, it doesn't appear to have spread

It may have been unwise, but I took off the main spots myself. He seems fine. I'm just not sure of its ich or not, he doesn't look like he's sprinkled with salt, he's just had a few raised cysts that have remained unchanged for several weeks.

It may have been unwise, but I took off the main spots myself. He seems fine. I'm just not sure of its ich or not, he doesn't look like he's sprinkled with salt, he's just had a few raised cysts that have remained unchanged for several weeks.

By this description, I'd say it's not Ich ... it should've manifested into multiple "salt grains" covering the body by now ... especially at 85F. Granted there are some high temp resistant strains ... but I don't think this is one of them.

How did you remove the cysts? Where they hard or soft spots? Was there anything inside them? I would suggest keeping him qt'd for another couple weeks and keeping a close eye on him for anything new. I dont think the ich meds are necessary at this point but you may want to consider keeping atleast a low level of salt in the tank (.1%). Keep us posted!

I didn't really get a chance to determine those things, I just sort of scooped them off of him. Hell be in qt for a long while. I'll keep treating the ich for at least the next few days

He's still doing fine, he still has some spots embedded in his fin. Just the superficial ones are gone.

What could it be if not ich?

Ill be honest, I am not 100% positive. As you just wiped the spots off and they werent encysted in his skin, it doesnt sound like a parasite issue but it also doesnt necessarily rule a parasite issue out. With all the meds he has been treated with, I believe if there was a parasite issue, it would have been eliminated. Fish do get random spots and bumps from time to time (just as we do) and without a microscope to determine what is the causative factor, most will go unidentified. As long as he seems happy and active with no other symptoms, I would not be overly concerned but I would keep him qt'd for awhile to be sure nothing else strange develops.

I'm not so sure either. Some seem embedded in his fin, and one of the ones I took off left a little black mark, but the wound also may have been dyed by a dose of rid ich

Lets watch him and see what happens. You have meds in the tank that will address most parasite issues if this is the case. If he develops more spots or his condition changes, let us know and we go from there.

The spots didn't come back, and his wound healed up. He's a bit lethargic though

How do your water parameters look right now? He has been treated with quite a few meds so far. Its likely time for a water change to start reducing the meds in the tank & see how he does. Is he still eating?

My water parameters are fine. I did a good water change yesterday and stopped dosing rid ich for a while. I'm dosing erythromycin in both my tanks because my angelfish has a little bit of ragged fins and white film in him. I figure i shouls have Eliminated any parasites by now, i should try treating for fungus. It's frustrating that in constantly having to treat my tanks because I'm a dedicated quarantiner these days and I have always had great water quality.

Erthro will not treat ragged fins or white film. Try a gram negative antibiotic instead along with lots of healthy water. Do you see white hairy growths on your fish or is it just a white slime? Did you properly remove the ich meds before adding another med?

The ich meds are out of the tank. It says it treats fin rot and fungus. my tetra had a mouth fungus (maybe columnaris?) that tetra lifeguard didn't fix but went away on its own after treatment. I'm just getting really suspicious that there's some sort of fungus sneaking around my tanks. Like I said, I've tries a treatment for everything and still have random mysterious problems, almost no fish loss though which is fortunate.

It doesn't look hairy, just filmy patches. I'll take pics of my fish later

Back
Top Bottom