Ich treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone, I was just wondering what you guys and gals thought was the best way to treat ich. I found an article saying how to cure it with using just heat. It's also mention how to use salt a well and also how to so a salt bath. I was wondering what you guys thought of it

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

I had an outbreak started last week. Here's what I did.

I slowly crank the heat up to 88 and had one neon die in the process. Turned the heat back down to 86 and so far its looking good. The first couple of days when the temp hit 86-88 I notice an escalation of white spots but this morning not one fish had white spots. I'm going to keep the temp at 86 for another week to make sure all the ICH has perish. I did not use salt as I have a heavily planted tank and I did PWC every few days.

Hobgob said:
Hey everyone, I was just wondering what you guys and gals thought was the best way to treat ich. I found an article saying how to cure it with using just heat. It's also mention how to use salt a well and also how to so a salt bath. I was wondering what you guys thought of it

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

That's the article I was going to post for you but I see you've already found it! Great info on there. Personally I just used heat for 2 weeks because I have cories and plants and I'm a scaredy cat when it come to adding anything to my tanks. It worked the two times I needed to treat ich.

So slowly increase the temp of your tank to 86 over the next day or so. You can even push it to 88 for the first 3 days but keep a very close eye on your fish for stress. Add an air stone/ decrease water level to make a water fall from filter/ aim powerhead at surface to increase oxygen in the water. The ich will usually get worse before it gets better. Doing extra PWC will help decrease the free floating ich in the water. Wait at least 2 weeks before slowly decreasing temp again even if you don't see any more ich on your fish it still maybe in the tank.

Using Heat to Treat Ich in Freshwater Tropical Fish - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish
I think it depends on what kind of fish you are treating. Some can tolerate more salt than others and some more heat than others.

2 swordtail
2 bleeding heart
2 berry tetras
3 kribs
6 neon tetra
2 glowlight
1 L-83 pleco
1 upside down cat

Back
Top Bottom